Door won't open

Talk about the website here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

thingmon
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Door won't open

Post by thingmon »

OK, here's my first lame little project... :roll:

The other day my door handle decided to stop working. It had started getting difficult to open awhile back so I squirted some WD40, then some white grease into handle and into the striker area. Worked well for a few weeks, then stopped releasing altogether. Any of you had this happen? I'll be pulling the door card this weekend to see what's up...
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Door won't open

Post by Briano1234 »

thingmon wrote:OK, here's my first lame little project... :roll:

The other day my door handle decided to stop working. It had started getting difficult to open awhile back so I squirted some WD40, then some white grease into handle and into the striker area. Worked well for a few weeks, then stopped releasing altogether. Any of you had this happen? I'll be pulling the door card this weekend to see what's up...

the return springs on the finger pull do get stickey, and are a pain..... open the door from the inside then pop the cover off the handle ther eis one screw in the front, and on on the inside door to premove the handle.

Clean the crapola outta it, then coat with axle grease....then work the spring.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
RydnShotgun
What year is your cabby?: 0

Post by RydnShotgun »

those door handles are notorious for breaking. do what Brian suggested, if that doesn't work you may consider some chinese MKIII handles. I always see them on e-bay.. i've been thinking about them myself.
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

or make a run to the junk yard and pick up another set. i've had to do that with all my MKI's. crappy handles.
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
foursixthree

Post by foursixthree »

While you are doing that let me make a little sugestion. DON'T USE WD40!!
Go to a local Lock shop and pick up a can of TRI-FLOW. It's teflon based and doesn't dry out your locks or other moving parts. The stuff is Liquid Magic. Use it to flush out gunk and whatever else is in your locks and latches. It doesn't react bad if there has been Graphite(EWWW :evil: ) in the lock.

Try it... you'll love it.

Mondo
thingmon

Post by thingmon »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let you know what happens...