Squeak, scrape, Passenger Side.

Post suspension issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

anthropod
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Squeak, scrape, Passenger Side.

Post by anthropod »

Okay, So I got my Cabby running well this weekend. My last problem right now before I call it good for a while is this nasty scraping/squeaking sound the front passenger side is making. It sounds like it could be a wheel bearing. Metal on metal. It gets louder if I make a right turn. It goes away if I make a left turn. Braking seems to have no effect either way. Any ideas?
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Almost sounds more like a CV joint, but that generally sounds more like a clunking. When bearing go, the tend to start as a low roar and get louder with more speed. But they don't always act the same.

Jack the front of the car up, if you can wiggle the offending wheel a fair ammount in any given direction, then it should be a bearing issue. If it's pretty solid, then you might want to have a peak at the cv joint while you have it up in the air. Now I've been lucky so far and I haven't had to replace the cv shafts on my cars so I can't tell you exactly what to look for. I'm sure someone else here on the forum has and can tell you exactly what to look for though.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

Normally a CV joint will click very loudly when it's ready to be changed. Usually when the wheel is turned to the left or right. Check for ripped CV boots.

Wheel bearing will give you a rumble/grind that you can feel in your feet. Wheel bearings are not always easy to find, sometimes there is enough rust and grindings in them that they still feel tight. Put the car up on jack stands and put it in gear making the wheels turn. Most of the time you can hear/see the vibration by turning the wheels left to right. Stethoscopes help here.

I have had struts give me a squeek and or grind going over bumps. Push down real hard a number of times on the front fender and see if you can duplicate the noise.

Have you checked the brake pads for wear? The pads should have a wear indicator that will give a really high pitched scrape/squeel. Also check the backing plate, sometimes these can get bent in and contact the brake rotor.

If none of these are it then write back.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom