Air inlet

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

89lsc4me
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Air inlet

Post by 89lsc4me »

Guys do I have to stay with the stock air inlet system? I have been toying with the idea of a ram air type thing, similar to the pic I posted in the pic section. I have been looking at a hood scoop from a subaru impreza wondering if I could make it work!! Is there a replacement for the stock air box. I have not had it off or even really got into it but is it solidly attached to the CIS distribution box, and is the stock inlet system needed by the dist box?? These are the things I don't know. Well heck there is plenty I don't know, but we'll deal with these ones first!!!
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

With CIS injection, ram air is pretty much impossible. There is a restricor plate in the top of the air box and that controls the fuel flow from the fuel distributor.

Now if you make the move to stand alone fuel management (megasquirt, SDS) then you can do things like ram-air.

A hood scoop that aimed the air at the top of the intake manafold or at the exhaust manafold would help some as it will lower engine bay temps, but you won't see any massive gains per say.

Unfortunatly, with CIS and CIS-e we are pretty limited. You could also make the move to Digifant II which would prollie be cheaper then SDS and would be a bit easier to splice into the wiring harness of the car. However, things like a fuel rail or electronic injectors will be needed no matter how you look at it.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
89lsc4me

Post by 89lsc4me »

Oh ok well that's that!! I'm not interested in swapping this and that, I just thought............awe it don't matter what I thought. Thanks. Maybe I'll just consider the scoop as eye candy, have to see what it looks like. Thanks again.
kda339
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by kda339 »

I did the ram air thingy when I had my Scirocco, however I tested it with and without and really did not noticed any gains. I then used an Audi injector cooling motor and plumb that into the air box and had it come on and go off with a full throttle switch. It really moved some air sometimes it was a little too much. I tested both ram air and the injector cooling motor at the track and with ram air it slowed my 0-60 times but in top end it gained a .01 tenth of a sec. Now with the injector cooling motor I had a faster 0-60 time but .03 sec gains in top end. After all of that I ended up taking everything off and stayed with the K&N filter setup. CIS is really a plain jane FI system. Another thing you could look at is a euro fuel dist and meter housing, but really, Why? the money you would spend you could changed to the DIGI setup and chip your setup and be better off and in the long run probally cheaper. So it's really your choice on what you want to do.
'87 Cab 2.0 16v
bubster007

Post by bubster007 »

I have to agree with kda339,
I have a Dignifart system and I really am satisfied with it. I can chip it but some rice burner is always going to dust me no matter what I do to this setup. This setup is well engineered for economy vs speed when you factor in horsepower to weight ratios. The car goes fast enough to get me in trouble but I especially like passing gas stations in it. If I wanted a race car I would have bought one. I have a Cabby because it is a Cabby. There really isn't a whole lot that you can do to this system without reaching deep into the rear pocket. I supercharged an RT Neon and it threw the ring and pinion out in the street. I finally stretched the head bolts and the timing belt at the same time. That is when it occured to me that if you want a rocket then buy one that was built to be a rocket. Don't try to build a rocket because a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. If the whole package isn't strong then it is just money wasted. There are a few guys that have really hopped the Cabbys up but it came with a price tag. K&M is probably your best bet.
- I do have a friend that has a 426 Hemi in his VW but it isn't much of a daily driver and it can't pass a gas station.
92 Cabby Triple White...de Bubster
bubster007

Post by bubster007 »

Oops, K&N --
--Sorry, but my finger had something on it.
92 Cabby Triple White...de Bubster
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

what i did with mine is open the airbox up and hook 4inch duct to it. run that to a cool spot and thats about all you can do to it.
remember, the more air you have in the more air you need out. a good place to start is the exhaust manifold, replace that with a header/4-2-1 manifold and free flowing exhaust. then a bigger throttle body. the next big blockage is the cam, it's an econo cam. get a 268 or better cam, that should really wakeup the motor...at least it did mine. :D
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Bubster you are really a man after my own heart/pocketbook when I was young I drove mg's with a 1048cc engine, it might have gone 70 downhill with a tail wind. But off the red wow.

Then i bought my first v8 3.5l rover 3500s I got clocked at 156 in a 55.
I had to pass gas station as the minimum octane for the engine was 105.

I used to go to the airport and get a half tank avgas 130 octane and then fill the remainder with ethyl....

If i had to run a full tank ethyl I noticed the difference and I usually carried octane boosters in the trunk.

Yes I have placed a header on the wabbit, because the manifold was a 4 to 1 non toilet bowl and was cracked in 3 places one almost 3/4 of the way around.

I took the air hose off the radiator frame. It had to draw air a long way to get it to the intake.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
89lsc4me

Post by 89lsc4me »

Perhaps I have been misunderstood or have not expressed myself clearly. I don't want a rocket, I have my 5.0 Lincoln Mark VII for my power urges. I was only looking at ideas!! I was only looking to add eye candy with a scoop and if I could have made it functional would be a bonus. I also considered along with it the larger MK2 throttle body with a ground out intake to remove restriction, and that 4-2-1 along with the free flow exhaust. All this was mearly an idea to freshin up the Cabby, not make a rocket. I agree with you and I also bought the cabby cause it was a cabby. But........ kids will always play :)
-vertigo-

Post by -vertigo- »

1lowcab wrote:what i did with mine is open the airbox up and hook 4inch duct to it. run that to a cool spot and thats about all you can do to it.
That's a good way to start. get a Scirocco lower airbox or mod your current airbox and run some dryer tube. It might look ghetto, but it does lower intake temperatures and reduce some of the restriction inherent in the poor cabby airbox design.

A larger TB works only if the manifold is carefully ported. I have a spare for sale if anybody needs one to P&P. A bigger cam is good, yes, but don't get greedy... anything over 272 will affect your car at the bottomof the rev range. Then it's all about the exhaust.
(no longer a registered user)
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

A larger TB works only if the manifold is carefully ported
or get a newer fox manifold. the opening for the throttlebody is already big so no porting necesary....bolt on and go!
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
-vertigo-

Post by -vertigo- »

oh yes, that too :D
(no longer a registered user)