CONVERTIBLE TOP GROUP BUY!!!

Talk about the website here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by gull »

theonlychuck wrote:...you'll want to reuse the rear cable if you can, since it's like $100 (or $5 if you make your own at a hardware store like i did since mine was rusted through =] )
I keep hearing references to the rear cable being $100, but CabrioWorld lists them at $38. Am I missing something here? For $38 it seems like it'd be worth having on hand when I do my top, just in case I break the old one or it seems questionable. I'd hate to get the old top cut off and then find I had to wait for a cable to arrive before I could install the new one. ;)
gull

Post by gull »

1. 1989
2. Vinyl, dark gray.
3. Yes.
4. No.
5. All cables.
6. Could buy just about any time, would like to have it by June-ish, when I can take a weekend to do the job and be reasonably sure it won't rain.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Sorry to inform you that this particular group buy was for June of 2005. To make it even worse, it had to be cancelled though I can't remember why.

Maybe with summer approching, one of the members will be able to setup another one.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
tolusina

Post by tolusina »

gull wrote:....CabrioWorld lists them at $38. ....
I bought that from Cabrioworld when I did my top, was glad I did. The old rear cable had a fair amount of rust on it, the protective sheath had lots of cracks, the old cable had taken a "Memory" set.
You'll sure want the 10mm angle head ratcheting box wrench from Sears. Tensioning the rear cable with it is difficult, impossible without it.

I also bought side cables from Cabrioworld, I won't make that mistake again. The kit was around $25.00, consisted of two lengths of 1/16" galvanized cable that had to be cut to fit, plus four ferulles to crimp your assembly together. You can buy an adequate length of 1/16" stainless cable plus four ferulles from ACE is THE Place for about $6.00. Better cable, less money, your choice.
gull

Post by gull »

Oops! Heh. I thought I'd checked the date on the thread, but I'd misread the year. I feel dumb now...
pdaoust

Post by pdaoust »

aw poo. There was never any conclusion to this thread, so I assumed that people were still waiting (even though it had been almost a year since the thread was started).

And can anybody out there with a canvas top say, "sure, my top lasted twice as long, so I'm glad I spent twice as much"? Or do they last only slightly longer than vinyl tops (~10 yrs)?
I gots me a yellow '90 Cabrio with automatic tranny. It's one of only two yellow Cabrios I've ever seen. My greatest desire is to pop a diesel engine in there and run it offa veggie oil. Dat is all I haff to say here.
RydnShotgun
What year is your cabby?: 0

Post by RydnShotgun »

if you can get this group buy going again I would be interested. My top is trashed...
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

RydnShotgun wrote:if you can get this group buy going again I would be interested. My top is trashed...
Ebay has them for 160 with the side and rear cables that is about as good as I have seen them, I ordered and recieved a TMI top from AAbest that I ordered off of ebay, so that is about as good a top as you would want, however, ny pads are good, and my headliner just need to be cleaned.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
gull

Post by gull »

My headliner is unfortunately shot, too. Slashed to ribbons by the person who broke into the car.
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

The group buy was cancelled because nowhere near the amount of people needed for it, signed up for it; not only that, CabrioWorld was asking for some pretty unreasonable things. So, I've given up on it and so has Stephen, the guy who initially tried to put the group buy together.

Sorry, guys. :(

I may be buying mine through M&T since they are slightly cheaper and offer a package deal (I need the whole shebang).
pdaoust

Post by pdaoust »

Thanks for the info, Briano and kamzcab. I did note that CabrioWorld has some pretty decent prices (although they seem to be selling their tops on eBay for slightly more than they sell them for on the website). At $160, it's hard to complain. I'll check out M&T though too.
I gots me a yellow '90 Cabrio with automatic tranny. It's one of only two yellow Cabrios I've ever seen. My greatest desire is to pop a diesel engine in there and run it offa veggie oil. Dat is all I haff to say here.