Front Fenders

Post body issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

89lsc4me
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Front Fenders

Post by 89lsc4me »

Guys is there a difference between 1980 - 82 Cabriolet fenders and 83 on fenders? I have been calling a few parts places local to me and I get the same answers they can get me 80 - 82 Cabriolet fenders or 81 - 84 Rabbit fenders. But they show nothing for 86 Cabs!! I thought the fenders are the same from like 79 to 90 or something like that!! Anyway I guess all I want to know is can I buy an 82 fender and have it fit with no issues?
At $64 Cnd I think it is a darn good price!!!
Thanks
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Re: Front Fenders

Post by kamzcab86 »

The front fenders should all the be same for all Cabriolet years. You might need to clarify to the parts guys that you want a front fender for the following: Rabbit Convertible, Cabriolet, Golf Cabriolet ('79-'93), or '75-'78 Rabbit or Golf and see what pops up in their computer.

Check http://concept1.ca/Body%20Style%20mk1.htm for reference.

Do not get the Rabbit fenders you mentioned unless you want to do a round to square headlight conversion. :wink:

But to answer your question, yes, the '82 Cabriolet fender should fit no problem.
Last edited by kamzcab86 on Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

I "think" the fender are the same as far as shape and fit. The difference I "think" is that some did and some didn't have side marker lights and so these new fender may or may not have the holes pre-drilled/cut out.

I'm sure someone a bit smarter then me will pipe in here shortly with a more accurate answer.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

Calimus wrote:I "think" the fender are the same as far as shape and fit. The difference I "think" is that some did and some didn't have side marker lights and so these new fender may or may not have the holes pre-drilled/cut out.
Yes, this is correct. Not sure what Canadian models came with side markers, but ask before ordering if the holes are there or not. European Cabs did not have side markers and many of the North American suppliers get the aftermarket body pieces from Europe. Not that holes couldn't be easily drilled out.
89lsc4me

Post by 89lsc4me »

OK thats great thanks a bunch. I don't mind if the marker light holes are missing, I have been thinking of removing them anyway. I like the clean smooth look. I will be sure to specify models and year upon ordering.
Thanks again!!! :)
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Since you are in Canada, I highly suggest Concept - 1 in Calgary as a place to order your fenders. They ship out and are all VW people (the last three presidents of our local VW club all work there).

there web site is http://www.concept1.ca/

They have a 1 - 800 number too. You can't go wrong by these guys. I think the sell MK I fenders for something like $70 CDN.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image