Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

VWnoob
Perpetual Noob
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

16v confusion..........

Post by VWnoob »

Guys, what kind of engines are these?
They are both 16v DOHC, but one has the fuel injection module on the left and the other on the right?

I am definately heading toward a swap and want to know which one is the best and which one is the easiest.
My ride will need a new engine soon so, this is probably the first mod I will do.

Thanks guys.

(Sorry for the ignorance)

Jim

CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Well I can't say too much from your pictures, but most people that I know that have done the 16V swap have opted for the CIS-E fuel injection.

CIS-E was developed for 16 Valve engines, and looks something lke the one in the lower picture. The main advantage is that parts are still redily available. It should just bolt right into the car. The hard part will be adapting the electronic control unit into the wiring harness (it is doable).

This would replace the CIS injection that is currently attached to the 8V engine in your car.

Another advantage is that the Bently Manuals provide all the information you would need to maintain it.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

didn't scirocco 16vs have the injection on the drivers side and the golf 16vs have it on the passenger side? i could be wrong.
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

1lowcab wrote:didn't scirocco 16vs have the injection on the drivers side and the golf 16vs have it on the passenger side? i could be wrong.
Could be. :?

I was under the impression that all CIS-E were on the Passenger side, while CIS was on the drivers.

I could be wrong.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Nope, just simple matter of scirocco on the drivers side, all other on the passenger side. I think it might have been a "shift some weight" type of thing, or maybe a way to create some room cuase lemmie tell ya, trying to do anything on my scirocco is a real PITA with the battery, fuel injection and the damn air cleaner box all in the same place. :evil:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Calimus wrote:Nope, just simple matter of scirocco on the drivers side, all other on the passenger side. I think it might have been a "shift some weight" type of thing, or maybe a way to create some room cuase lemmie tell ya, trying to do anything on my scirocco is a real PITA with the battery, fuel injection and the damn air cleaner box all in the same place. :evil:
Good to know, thanks Calimus.

So quick lesson is, take the 16V from a scirocco donor car and the Bently will pretty well line up.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

yea, a scirocco 16v will drop right in place of a stock 8v in the bunnies. Well, save for some slight additions that you'll want to make (16v radiator, 16v pass side motor mount, second fuel pump, cis-e brainbox and fuel distributor, knock box) There might be some other things and you don't "have" to use the 16v radiator and fuel pump system, but in the long run, it might be better.

An even if you get the 16v from a passat, all you need is a rocco 16v upper intake manafold to put things back to the drivers side. Thats all thats reall different. Save for most of the passats were 2L 16v's.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Calimus wrote:Well, save for some slight additions that you'll want to make (16v radiator, 16v pass side motor mount, second fuel pump, cis-e brainbox and fuel distributor, knock box) There might be some other things and you don't "have" to use the 16v radiator and fuel pump system, but in the long run, it might be better.

The second fuel pump you speak of, is that fuel transfer pump located inside the fuel tank? If so, some '86 and all '87 and newer have them already.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
VWnoob
Perpetual Noob

Post by VWnoob »

Guys, thanks for all of the expert info!
You guys are a big help!

Jim
NordTexan

Post by NordTexan »

Jim,

How is the swap going? I bought a partial project from a guy that transplanted an 89 Scirocco motor(fuel distr. on driver's side) in an 88 Cabriolet. It was not done the best way, so I am going to try to reserect it this summer.

I am in the process of deciding fuel delivery methods now, and like the rest here, concur that CIS is the best(read: simplest). Availability the Dallas, TX area, though is a little difficult to source those.

I would like to hear your stories and trade my. We can collectively learn some tricks & save eachother alot of trouble.

email me at jpormberget@yahoo.com

Or anyone else that has experience in this & would like to help.

Thanks,
Jack
Trying to get back into a bunny.
http://www.cardomain.com/my/garage
VWnoob
Perpetual Noob

Post by VWnoob »

Hey Jack, thats great that you are getting back into a Cabby and what a great place to start, t
I myself, have not yet started to swap. I am still shopping for a decent 2.0 ABA engine.
But Please keep posting on your project and any snags that you hit, or any good info you aquire along the way.
I would difinately need it.

Jim
kda339

Post by kda339 »

I am doing this swap as we speak I am transplanting everything from an A2 Jetta into my cab. As for the wiring I am using everything from the Jetta. This includes the whole wiring harness from the car. I found this to be a little more in-telled then the average swap, but the Cabbies harness was way to hacked up for me and the Jetta's was in far better shape. Plus the Jetta had powered Recarro's and the MAF instrament cluster and cruse control. So too incrop all of the goodies without spicing and dice'n I just opt'd to transplant the whole harness. As for the motor I am keeping the Pass side setup. The fuel lines are already on the pass side for me as to my car used to be a Digi car so less work on that part plus I was able to score a cold air intake setup for the CIS-e setup which will get rid off the bulky Jetta's air box. I hope this helps if you have questions just ask I'll try my best to help.
'87 Cab 2.0 16v
BigDaddy90Cabby
Exploited Staff Member

Post by BigDaddy90Cabby »

I will do a 2.0 swap one of these days.. but will keep the 8v head.. bulletproof!!
Jimmy
1990 Cabby
Corpus Christi, TX

http://www.cardomain.com/id/bigdaddyjimmyjam
"That's funny, I don't care who you are, that's funny!"