Dual downpipe questions.

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

85Wolfy
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Dual downpipe questions.

Post by 85Wolfy »

Hey all - good site! I'm getting ready to do a dual downpipe/manifold conversion. Looks like I'll need to add a flex pipe between the downpipe and cat - thinking I could have my exhaust guy weld up one w/flanges for me and use TT cat-back, or maybe have him do the whole thing. Anyone care to share their experiences with this?
'85 Wolfsburg Cabby Burgandy and tan inside and out
PDX Cabby
The Living Bentley Manual
What year is your cabby?: 1985

Post by PDX Cabby »

well
if you're using the stock dual downpipes, you'll not only need a flex joint, but you'll also need about an additional 18" of pipe that you'll be loosing when compared to the original toilet bowel design. I prefer the braided flex joints you can find on ebay all day long for less than $30. They are far superior to many other flex/ball joints you will find and will make a great way of making up some of the pipe that you'll be loosing to get things to mate back up with the TT cat back system.

(hope that made some sence)
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...
85Wolfy

Post by 85Wolfy »

Does make sense. For sake of simplicity, am I better off just getting a TT downpipe, maybe even a race pipe and delete the car? My concern is that with that design, there's not a lot of flex in the system...will I be breaking mounts or studs or whatever?
'85 Wolfsburg Cabby Burgandy and tan inside and out
PDX Cabby
The Living Bentley Manual
What year is your cabby?: 1985

Post by PDX Cabby »

the way i did it: OE dualdowns, bolt the Cat up to it, and the flex joint to the rest of the exhaust. think i needed about 6 inches more pipe than supplied with the TT Cat Back, but that was easily resolved with a parts store
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...