Advice sought...

Post body issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

What should Dan do about the gouge in his Cabbie?

Have the front bumper repainted and give the mechanic the bill.
88%
Same as option one, but offer to pay for part of it because the bumper wasn't perfect to begin with.
13%
Have the gouge touched up, send the mechanic the bill, and learn to live with the imperfection.
No votes
Just live with the gouge...it's just a car, after all.
No votes

Total votes: 8

OOHAAH

Advice sought...

Post by OOHAAH »

What would you do?

I have a '92 Cabbie that is in great shape. One body shop guy said it was the best looking car of its age that he'd ever seen. Not that it's perfect...there are a few flaws, including a minor nick on the top of the front bumper.

Well, I took it to a mechanic to give it a thorough going-over, and while it was there somebody put a big, deep gouge in the side of the front bumper (through the red paint and well into the black plastic beneath). The owner of the shop admitted responsibility for it, so I won't have to fight with him about that.

Having the bumper stripped, refinished, and repainted would cost me about $400, though it would cost the mechanic somewhat less because he's friends with the bodyshop guy. It'll look like new, assuming that the paint is a perfect match. Having it touched up will cost about $100, but the roughness of the gouge will still show.

Here's my question. Oh, wait...this is a great opportunity to have a poll! If I don't list the option you'd recommend, please post a message with your opinion.

Thanks for your input.

Dan
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

Don't feel obligated to go to the mechanic's body shop guy. The mechanic admitted fault (hopefully you got that in writing) and you should take the car to who you feel will do the job right (if it's the mechanic's buddy, so be it). Doing the job right means getting that bumper cover to look like new. No matter what, you shouldn't pay a dime to have the gouge fixed (the mechanic or his insurance should).

Post by Guest »

kamzcab86 wrote:Don't feel obligated to go to the mechanic's body shop guy. The mechanic admitted fault (hopefully you got that in writing) and you should take the car to who you feel will do the job right (if it's the mechanic's buddy, so be it). Doing the job right means getting that bumper cover to look like new. No matter what, you shouldn't pay a dime to have the gouge fixed (the mechanic or his insurance should).
Thanks for your input. The response to my poll was depressingly low, so I made up my mind and decided to do exactly what you suggested. I trust the autobody guy, so I felt comfortable giving him the car. Besides, he and his crew know how uptight I am about the car, so I think they'll be more careful with it. I didn't even revisit the mechanic who damaged my car...the bill is going straight from the autobody guy to the mechanic. I'll offer to pay $25 (or whatever) for installing the license plate bracket, but otherwise I'm letting the mechanic bear the brunt of the expense. Serves him doubly right for trying to hide the (unhideable) gouge from me to begin with.

Thanks again for sharing your opinion!

Dan
kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Good for you!

Post by kuklaki »

I did vote for your poll, but it's been a graveyard around here lately.

I think that you did the right thing. The shop did not fess up to the damage, hoping that you would not notice. Even though they were agreable for the repairs, this was still dishonest, and not the way a business should operate.

As for this forum, i am not giving up yet. It has not been around long at all, and it takes time for these to catch on. I just ask that the few people who do come on and read help spread the word to other Cabby owners (just dont do it on Yahoo! group cabrioletandcabrio-you will get yourself moderated even though by posting up this link you are NOT violating the terms and services. The other Cabriolet and Rabbit groups have been great!)
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
SoCal_Cabby
Postus-Whorus-Maximus
What year is your cabby?: 0

Post by SoCal_Cabby »

they messed up da they needs to pay