Post suspension issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Springs and tires

Post by sixsracing »

Updated the cabby today with some American Racing 15X7's with 195/50/15 Falkens. Five spokes for the right price of $300.00 total. I have been toying with the idea of performance springs and my dilemma is the rear tires seem to hit the flares on medium to large bumps. I'm afraid if I lower this car any more the tires will burn the fiberglass right off. Anybody got any input out there?
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

the rear tires seem to hit the flares on medium to large bumps
that means your not low enough :D

i have a pretty good drop on my cab and have never had a problem with the rear, the front rubs alot! i think/hope it will be better when i get my boge's on.
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Well, if your still rocking the original suspension, then chances are your ass end is sagging and thats why your rubbing on med to high bumps.

If you upgrade to a lowering style spring, go with a shick/strut thats designed for lowering, this way you will end up with a stiffer ride, but it help keep the tires from rubbing.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
PDX Cabby
The Living Bentley Manual
What year is your cabby?: 1985

Post by PDX Cabby »

just threw on an FK 60/40 hitek kit today
even with minimal clearance up front, i haven't been rubbing like i expected. suspension is surprisingly smooth yet agressive.
so far i'm impressed
gimme a couple more days and i'll have a better opinion
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

Upon closer inspection the right rear spring is broken. I have suspected that the rear sagged a bit, just never put the time in to investigate.
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
fuzzie

Post by fuzzie »

I have the same 60/40 FK kit, and with 185/60/14 I don't rub unless I really crank the front wheels. I had 195/60/14 on the rear for a bit and the only time they rubbed was with 2 180 lb guys in the back. Even then it was just on the little bumps. I never tried them on the front, with the offset the wheels had I'm not to sure they would have fit. I'm going to try a friends 205/40/16 in a bit....just curious to see if they fit. hehe

Jeff
1984 Rabbit Convertable named Be Be. Topless is the only way her be!
PDX Cabby

Post by PDX Cabby »

hehe
the 16s will fit, but, won't ride well...

running 195/50/15s right now with et30
after a brief ethusiastic drive to work, no rubbing as i had suspected i would have.
just gonna let things settle in before i give a real report
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

I called the dealer for a price on rr springs, $132.00 a piece. Wow! I can find front and rear for almost that much. I have asked this before but didn't get any response. Has anybody seen springs that are stiffer but retain the stock or almost stock ride height? I really don't need to go any lower and I'm scraping things on my dirt road as it is. Help!
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
PDX Cabby

Post by PDX Cabby »

srsvw.com

shine realstreet kit is WOW amazing. might get a half inch drop at most and a very high performance suspension setup. They won't slam your car and it will give you the best handling i've ever seen.
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

PDX, thanks for the tip on Shine Racing, they have springs that will not drop the car for $229.00. (incidentally, they are about 20 miles from where I grew up) They also have some intriguing suspension bearings that replace the bushings in control arms and some other suspension components. I have e-mailed them and I'm waiting to here on how much stiffer the spring is vs. stock. Thanks again
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

I ordered the Shine Real Street springs yesterday. They recommend 200lb. in the front and 110lb. in the rear. I hope it's enough. I'm going to back them up with some Boge Turbo gas in the front and rear. Almost have all the money saved up. Incidentally, the guy on the phone said if you pick the springs up in person and pay cash they do alittle on the price. Since there is a disc golf course about ten miles from there, I'm going to get a bunch of guys together and take him up on the offer. Followed by pizza at the most amazing pizza place on this side of the continent. Thanks agian for the tip PDX.
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom