81 A/C manual trans cold start/EGR

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

roadtech
What year is your cabby?: 1981
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

81 A/C manual trans cold start/EGR

Post by roadtech »

You guys are great on this form, I am making good progress on my repair/rebuild. The harness close to the cold start injector was cut, I pulled a harness from an 82 and the wire colors are slightly different. see attached pictures (1) I have 4 striped wires and a brown (thinking the brown may be a ground) first picture. the second is of the 82 harness with 3 stripped wires and a brown it has the same color connector for the cold start and a connector for the EGR valve. would this be able to connect the 81 cut wires, cold start are same color. You should be able to zoom and see the wire color.
Attachments
82 harness (cold start EGR)
82 harness (cold start EGR)
cut harness in the 81
cut harness in the 81
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Re: 81 A/C manual trans cold start/EGR

Post by kamzcab86 »

Brown is always ground in a VW. ;)

On your car, simply splice (as in, twist-solder-heat shrink... do it the proper way instead of using crimps) new ground wires onto those two brown/white wires. Then, combine the two wires into a ring terminal and attach it to the cold-start valve bolt on the left (closest to the firewall), as seen here:

The blue/white wire and the brown/red wire: Those two are for testing/checking the frequency valve's duty cycle (you should get familiar with this procedure: http://www.cabby-info.com/cis.htm ). The brown/red wire should be combined with a solid brown wire off the cold-start valve. That solid brown wire in your photo should be going to the cold-start valve's front bolt, and then from the CSV to the brown/red wire (in other words, there should be another loose wire -- solid brown -- off the CSV). If that's the case, it needs to be combined with that brown/red wire. It kind of appears as if that brown/red wire is crimped onto another wire going off towards the firewall -- is it? If so, trace where that wire goes, because if it is crimped to that wire, that's a problem (and I'm guessing it'll tie into that hack job at the relay panel).

The original test plug that was in your car looked like this (left OEM photo):

In other words, you don't need to splice in all of that wiring you ripped out of the '82. ;)

And, a point of clarification: Your '81 has no EGR valve, or at least it shouldn't.

Also: I'm beginning to wonder about things. If you haven't already, take a look under the passenger side dash. Is there a Jetronic control box up under there? Is it plugged in and all wires in tact?
roadtech

Post by roadtech »

most helpful. In your picture with the oem test plug, in the upper right hand corner, is that a EGR valve, I have one of those. also I am missing the thing you meter ground clip is connected to (what is that?). I have a connection that comes from behind the engine with 2 white wires. So the cut wire are 2 brown/white (ground left bolt ) and single brown (grown right bolt) and remaining 2 for the cold start valve. That still leaves me with a valve or something "In your picture with the oem test plug, in the upper right hand corner, is that a EGR valve" that does not have a connection. By the way the 2 crimped wires goto the connector for the cold start valve (is that correct?) Sorry after rereading your post you are saying these are for the test connector, if that is the case where should I look for the wires to connect the cold start and the other device behind the intake. I can provide more pictures it that will be helpful. I do have the control box under the dash and it has a large connection connected on it, I had it how while I was doing dash and vacuum control work. all is back in now. Will I find wires coming from that for CSV and the other valve behind the intake.
roadtech

Post by roadtech »

the part I thought was egr turned out to be aux air reg. and the parts I am missing are idle boost valve. The wiring I remove from the 82 had connectors for aux air reg and the cold start, the wiring originated over by the master cly. Would that be where the thermal time switch is. Your picture do a much better job that try to read the wiring diag.