1980 (basket case) rabbit convertible

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

roadtech
What year is your cabby?: 1981
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

1980 (basket case) rabbit convertible

Post by roadtech »

Purchased a real project. working on the dash, cleaning things, checking connections and vac lines. I found a couple of 82's at pull a part, look same but subtle differences. Pulled the instrument cluster, speedometer cable is clip on mine screw on, I swapped the speedo's between the 2 instrument clusters, noticed a circuit board in the speedo compartment (82), which required me to swap the odometer drive gear to make room. My question is the 82 has and extra component (temp light), do you think the 82 instrument pod will work in my 80. I was also looking for info on "ground your cluster".
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Re: 1980 (basket case) rabbit convertible

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Here is a good place to start. a couple of photos will go a long way to help you explain stuff.

One good resource is http://www.cabby-info.com Kamy has much of the information you are looking for there.

I'm sure you can swap in the cluster from an '82, but you will need the wiring diagrams from both years to make sure. So comes the next question. Do you have the Bently manual? If not, it is a very wise investment to get one.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

The '80 convertibles used the hard-top version of the dash, including instrumentation. The '80 convertible is quite different from its later counterparts:

ImageImage

vs.

ImageImage

The cluster should work, but, obviously, you'll need to do some wiring work, not to mention things not looking "quite right" with the square speedo/tach being in round housings. What most folks do in your situation is simply swap the entire dash and kneebar from the '81+ cars into their '80s. The '80 convertibles are hard to find these days for getting interior parts; however, remember, that the hard-tops of that era ('70s-1980) use the same dash and instrument components. Those cars, too, are hard to come by these days, but it does broaden your search.
roadtech

Post by roadtech »

Sorry guy's My cabby is an 81 and the dash is from an 82. The 82 dash looks just like kamzcab86's lower picture. All electrical connections look the same just more stuff inside the 82 cluster.
roadtech

Post by roadtech »

CalAltaDubber wrote: I'm sure you can swap in the cluster from an '82, but you will need the wiring diagrams from both years to make sure. So comes the next question. Do you have the Bently manual? If not, it is a very wise investment to get one.

I have a Haynes manual the wiring diagrams are ok what does the Bently look like (do you have a picture of a page.

I looked at your web site and want to say great job. I purchased my cabby to save gas but I see changes in her future. First task is to get her running and driving. The interior was filthy as well. front seats missing, new top but not well installed. It seems every time I turn around I am still removing things and not putting back together yet.
With the dash off I want to be sure all vacuum and wiring is good, a good bath and then back together, then seats, and back end and convertible top squared away, then get engine running. It was running when I purchased but since fails to start. I have located the good sites, These have been very helpful. I keep thinking of documenting my work but will find myself getting started on something and 14 hours later I am doing 5 different things and nary a picture. That what old age will do to you.

http://mk1vw.info/ http://www.cabby-info.com/cis.htm
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

For Electrical, the Haynes has a far better copy of the wiring diagrams than Bentley.
The Haynes is better than Chiltons, and I used a Haynes for 20 years maintaining my Rabbit Diesel.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

roadtech wrote:
I have a Haynes manual the wiring diagrams are ok what does the Bently look like (do you have a picture of a page.
The Haynes should have the wiring diagrams you need. I have both. The Bently has better mechanical and procedural descriptions. Whereas the Haynes tends to leave lots out. My Bently is only for '85 to '89. There is one for eariler Rabbits and Cabbys.
roadtech wrote:I looked at your web site and want to say great job.
Thanks. I'm always looking for input.

roadtech wrote:I purchased my cabby to save gas but I see changes in her future. First task is to get her running and driving. The interior was filthy as well. front seats missing, new top but not well installed. It seems every time I turn around I am still removing things and not putting back together yet.
With the dash off I want to be sure all vacuum and wiring is good, a good bath and then back together, then seats, and back end and convertible top squared away, then get engine running. It was running when I purchased but since fails to start. I have located the good sites, These have been very helpful. I keep thinking of documenting my work but will find myself getting started on something and 14 hours later I am doing 5 different things and nary a picture. That what old age will do to you.
I know exactly what you mean. I guess that's part of the reason Posh Bunny took me five years to build.
These are two very good sites, Cabby-Info is Kamy's creation, and I still say she has more information about these cars than VW.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image