92 Cabby

New to the site? Stop in here and introduce yourself so we can all welcome you to the mad house.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

pooface
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

92 Cabby

Post by pooface »

Sup! Fixing to buy a '92 from CL for $1500 for my daughter. My son the mech says I will regret it. I told him as long as there is a forum for it it will be kept roadworthy! Please agree with me.
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Re: 92 Cabby

Post by CalAltaDubber »

pooface wrote:Sup! Fixing to buy a '92 from CL for $1500 for my daughter. My son the mech says I will regret it. I told him as long as there is a forum for it it will be kept roadworthy! Please agree with me.
First, Welcome to TRF.

Of course I agree with you! I have two of these cars, one of them since new (almost 26 years). I drive them everywhere.

They are a simple design, easy to fix when they do break and a fun car to drive. Your daughter will love it!

Another great place to find information is http://www.cabby-info.com
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Welcome but the pic police will be knocking on your forum post saying "Wheres the Picture.".
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
pooface

Post by pooface »

I would post the CL link but am worried about vultures as the item is not yet in our hands. Plus we lowballed.
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

pooface wrote:My son the mech says I will regret it.
The only regretful thing is this: Your daughter won't want it. I've seen it countless times in ads: "Bought it for my kid, but s/he doesn't want it (or can't get the hang of driving a manual) so here it is up for sale." Part I, page 2 of the Buyer's Guide I have this: "Buying this car for someone else: If I am buying this car for someone else, am I 100% positive that the person will like & enjoy the car?"

Does your kid like the car? Much like giving a dog as a gift, forget the surprise factor unless you know for certain the receiver will like it.

If it's a manual trans car, does your kid know how to drive it? If not, don't talk yourself into the "s/he'll learn", because odds are, it won't happen.

I sound a tad harsh, and I'm disagreeing with Phil on this point, but it's the truth. Other than that, you're asking for opinions on a Cabriolet on a Cabriolet forum... of course we're all going to agree that these cars are awesome. :mrgreen:
pooface

Post by pooface »

She likes it! She has been looking for a "boxy VW" for years. She found this one. She wanted a stick even though she's only partially trained. My son and me were against it initually because of VWs rep for elec gremlins plus ragtop phobia. The current owner removed the dash for some reason and none of the lights work. That is the biggest issue. My son and I are going to give it another insp before we close the deal. Anything to look for?
kamzcab86

Post by kamzcab86 »

Okay, then; disregard my post and commence Operation Cabriolet! :mrgreen:

What to look for? It's all spelled out in detail in this lengthy buyer's guide: http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/BuyingACabriolet.pdf . :wink:
pooface

Post by pooface »

Thanks for the link. It shows a power top mechanism. The owner did the top on this one by hand. Might the power mechanism be missing or inop?
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

pooface wrote:Thanks for the link. It shows a power top mechanism. The owner did the top on this one by hand. Might the power mechanism be missing or inop?
Very good question.
I do believe that '92 is supposed to be a power top. Page 11 of Kamz buyers guide shows where the hydraulic pump is supposed to be in the trunk. It is my understanding that replacment pumps are on the pricy side, so it could be possable that the pump and other hardware have been disabled/removed. Since both my cars are manual tops, I haven't really looked into the power mechanism.

I know of a couple cabbys in this area that were father/daughter projects. In both cases both father and daughter are very proud of their cars. I hope it goes well for you and yoour daughter.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

The power top was an option that you could buy. The Majority of Cabbies are manually powered.
1500 isn't low balling.... I have one that I paid 1500 for.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
kamzcab86

Post by kamzcab86 »

pooface wrote:The owner did the top on this one by hand. Might the power mechanism be missing or inop?
All depends on the model/trim level. The power-assisted top was not available for the base model, not even as an option. The Carat had the power-assisted top available as an option.

I should probably edit that section in the Buyer's Guide to say "if installed".

The general consensus in the Cabriolet world is that the power top isn't worth it unless you physically cannot operate the top yourself.
pooface

Post by pooface »

Where would I look for the power mechanism to see if there is/was ever one? Also, is the Haynes manual adequate or should I get the pricey Bentley? Does someone on here have a tattered/oily Bentley one for cheap?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Haynes is good. BENTLEY is better, Chilton has a tremendous negative air displacement ratio.

In the trunk, drivers side is where the power motor/impeller/pump is located. Behind the cardboard curtain.
If you don't see a power top switch on the left side of the steering wheel low, then chances are it don't have a power top.
Briano

bfrey003
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by bfrey003 »

there's a pdf version of the bently on here somewere
'91 Cabriolet Carat - stock (mostly)

Ben
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

pooface wrote:Where would I look for the power mechanism to see if there is/was ever one? Also, is the Haynes manual adequate or should I get the pricey Bentley? Does someone on here have a tattered/oily Bentley one for cheap?
Like most VW sites we say it's worth the money to get the Bently. It is the best resource you can have.

You might be able to find a used one on Amazon.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image