Noob alert! I'm here!

New to the site? Stop in here and introduce yourself so we can all welcome you to the mad house.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

fredges
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Noob alert! I'm here!

Post by fredges »

Howdy, I go by "fredges" and recently acquired a 1987 Cabriolet. I love it! And so I'm looking for forums and car clubs and all that where I can get help, and hopefully, one day, give help in return. Hey, kharma's real, man...

So, here she is: REDWARF

She's getting a new O2 sensor today and having vacuum leaks fixed, then this weekend I install a (only slightly) better stereo in her. Hey, gotta have tunes...

I also post over at VWVortex, and I'd love to know about any other Pacific Northwest car clubs or online communities.

See you around!
1987 VW Cabriolet - stock, auto
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country

Re: Noob alert! I'm here!

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Hey Fredges. Welcome to TRF.

You have certainly found a frendly bunch of folks that like to talk about Cabbys here.

I also have an '87 I call Topless Bunny which is still my favorite car. Oh I should mention that this car is about 98% stock. I just couldn't bring myself to do something custom on it. That's why I bought my '88, called Posh Bunny. That's where I did the custom work. The problem I created there is when I want to drive a cabby, I have to choose which one.

We certianly do have a few members here from the PNW, I'm in Calgary, and we do have a few members around here too.

One of the very best sources of information on Cabbys is a site run by one of our members, Kamy. Cabby-Info can be found at http://www.cabby-info.com.

Again welcome to TRF.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
fredges

Post by fredges »

Thanks "CalAltaDubber", and I know about "The Great and Powerful Cabby-Info"! :laugh:
I'm hoping to do as much of my own work as possible, but since I have a tiny garage and no yard (and no tools), I'm going to get her tuned up at the shop and take it from there. :)
Love doing my own work, so I'll be reading like crazy in these forums when I can eke out the time!
When I do get a chance to work on her, I'll try to document my adventures, in hopes of giving back.
The new stereo goes in this weekend, here's hoping I succeed!

*is your avatar the autobahn sign or the Kraftwerk logo? (big fan of both!)
84Vert
What year is your cabby?: 1984

Post by 84Vert »

Nice ride, welcome
84 Rabbit Convertible
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

fredges wrote: *is your avatar the autobahn sign or the Kraftwerk logo? (big fan of both!)
The avatar is the Autobahn sign, which Kraftwerk used in their same titled album. I'm a fan of both too!

I use it because I was living in Germany when I bought Topless Bunny. I can safely say that both the car and I have survived the Autobahn. :D
"Fahren, fahren, fahren auf der Autobahn" Kraftwerk
I do have a question about your stereo install. Are you replacing a factoy radio? The reason I ask is if you are, I suggest you purchase the adapter harness for VW from your local Stereo shop. It's a lot better to build your harness for a "Plug and Play" installation in the car than to hack factory wiring. The nice thing is that VW used the same connectors from the mid '80s until reciently. My MK IV has the same connectors.

If you are just upgrading an aftermarket stereo, where someone has already hacked into the wiring harness, please take the time to make proper splices. Do NOT just twist the wires together and wrap with electrical tape. The reason is twisting the wires together is not the best way to make the connection and the glue on the tape makes it a mess to work on when you have to go back in to fix poor connections.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
fredges

Post by fredges »

Here's a link to my install work so far.

Not going stock, because this is actually cheaper! :D
Further news as events warrant...

Oh, also, I would solder and shrink the connections, but this time I'm just sliding a butt/crimp connector on, twisting the wires together, and crimping them down. If I were doing expensive gear I'd bother, but meh. I don't want to put anything in there worth cutting my top to get to! :D

"Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni
Tashitari, hiitari
Sousashite, sakkyoku suru
Kono botan oseba, ongaku kanaderu"
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Hey, crimping connections is good. I just hate the twist and tape crowd.

I see from the picture of your car you have the same BBS wheels I have on my Posh Bunny. You have the same issue too. No centre caps :) .

I do like your car.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
fredges

Post by fredges »

Thanks! I really dig it, too! So much fun to drive. Reminds me of my '66 bug 'vert... sigh...

Yeah, I'm looking for center caps... Might have to make something myself... I don't even know what they're supposed to look like! :D
Oh, hey, where can I get these rims painted/restored? I thought red or white would look good on my car.... they're pretty beat...otherwise I wouldn't paint them...
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Wheel Repair,

I had a wheel repaired last year by a guy I know. He bought a franchise from a company called Kwicksilver Wheel Repair. I was happy with his work. He has a mobile shop. I'd assume that there is something like that in your area.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image