SAworking issueI not

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

EarlD
What year is your cabby?: 2002
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

SAworking issueI not

Post by EarlD »

This may be the wrong section for this but I thought I would put it here since I have only made entries in this and the engine section.
The SAI isnt working. I have ordered a new relay. I have been thinking about the comments I have heard about blocking it off and using a resistor to make the light go off. Not knowing exactly what to do to block it can I just unplug the electrics and block off the tube without removing it and it be the same as if it were removed ? If so which tube do I disconnect? I am not worried about what the engine compartment looks like so if the SAI is there or not it doesnt matter. From reading about the SAI it seems as if its pretty useless .
Or should I remove it completely? I dont know have no idea and need some input. If and when its disconnected that leaves another issue with the issue of a missing item in the computer. I think you need to re program the computer to get that out of the system to be able to pass inspection. So, I got all these thoughts and not sure which way to go. Opinions appreciated
Think First ! Then Guess!
2002 Cabby,2001 E430,1999 SLK 230
55 T-Bird 1979 Cessna 182
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Re: SAworking issueI not

Post by Calimus »

Generally with removing the SAI, this is the process. Pull the SAI and all included piping. Purchase and affix the proper Block off plate. On the electrical connector to the SAI pump, use the resistor.

With all that done, it will fool the ECU (supposedly) into thinking that everything is there and doing what it's supposed to do. Which should result in a no CEL situation. However, I've not done this so I can't comment from experience.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
EarlD
What year is your cabby?: 2002

Re: SAI not working

Post by EarlD »

I got my relay and installed it and still have the CEL . Code is 0418 SAI Relay. Can I jump the SAI blower and see if it works or do I have to check it some other way? I am thinking a hot wire and a ground to see if it will work. Am I fixing to burn up the engine compartment?
Think First ! Then Guess!
2002 Cabby,2001 E430,1999 SLK 230
55 T-Bird 1979 Cessna 182
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Earl, you've ventured into territory I don't know much about. The MKIII engine's are about the only one's I haven't owned and haven't had much exposure to. As much as I hate to send you to another source. the MKIII forums on VWvortex might be able to shed a lot more light on this than many of us can.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay ... -Jetta-III
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Calimus wrote:Earl, you've ventured into territory I don't know much about. The MKIII engine's are about the only one's I haven't owned and haven't had much exposure to. As much as I hate to send you to another source. the MKIII forums on VWvortex might be able to shed a lot more light on this than many of us can.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay ... -Jetta-III
You send me there all the time... or is that I send folks here all the time. What with my short attention span and memory loss, I don't remember which is which... :)
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: