Where is the relay

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

EarlD
What year is your cabby?: 2002
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Where is the relay

Post by EarlD »

Newbie here . I have a check engine light that says SAI relay fault. I have a Bently book and it says to check the relay and also says its located behind the left headlight. I looked there and I can find it.There is a relay mounted on the other side of the battery mounted on the strut tower . Dont know if this is it or not Ther is one also near the coolant bottle but it as fas as I can tell is a different control relay. Does anyone know where the relay/fuse is for the SAI? I have an '02 Cabrio automatic 2.0l .
Thanks in advance for any help.

PS I also have heard that I can bypass this system . Any instructions appreciated.
Think First ! Then Guess!
2002 Cabby,2001 E430,1999 SLK 230
55 T-Bird 1979 Cessna 182
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Re: Where is the relay

Post by Calimus »

Wish my sister still had her Cabrio so I could look in the engine bay. There's a good chance that the relay behind the headlight is the one you are after. However,l the SAI pump are known to just crap out. They can be removed and a block off plate installed and to keep the check engine light off, a resister is used on the connection to the SAI. Unfortunately, I don't know what level of resister is needed.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
EarlD

Post by EarlD »

The one I need is said to be behind the headlight. You are correct. But in my case it ain't there. As far as the ck engine light it will go out if blocked off and the resistor installed. But the car still wont pass inspection because the thing will come up as part missing. The only way I can get rid of that is to change the program somehow and it goes away. Dont know what size resistor to use or how to get and use the program to eliminate the other part missing code.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

To make the car passable with inspection, it would be cheaper to replace the SAI than it would be to block it off and get it coded out of the ECU. If it's indeed the Blower motor itself, those are fairly common anywhere you find MKIII jetta/golfs in a junk yard. I don't remember if they also have the combi-valve that MKIV's do or if they use a different system, but those can also clog up or fail as they have a diaphragm in them.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
EarlD

Post by EarlD »

I did buy the car for my Grandaughter and I want it to be right. I am not opposed to blocking off the ports but it may be cheaper to fix it. I am going to start checking on whats wrong with it tomorrow. I bought a Bently repair manual and have a good collection of info to get started with. So I will try that first but amy be back to get some clarification . Thanks for the input If you are ever up this way let me know and we can get together.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Fixing it right sounds like the best path at this point. Thanks for the invite. If I am ever going to be up that way, I'll certainly let you know. I love meeting folks form the forum. I've made some very good friends that way.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
EarlD

Post by EarlD »

I replaced the temp sensor in the radiator and the fans started working. The SAI pump however wont work. Started it up and checked operation and got nothing. Checked voltage with it runniing nothing showed up. May be the relay. Dont know how to check that so I bought one to be picked up tomorrow. I guess if the ck engine light goes out it will be working. The A/C still wont run over a couple minutes. I am taking it to my brothers and have him check it . He's an A/C man and has all the tools to do it right.
So ,its coming along slowly but surely.
Attachments
this is the car
this is the car
2002-volkswagen-cabriolet-glx-orlando-florida.jpg (14.78 KiB) Viewed 4559 times
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Sounds like you are getting things sorted out. If the SAI starts working you will know it. When it kicks on, it will sound like someone turned a small shop vac on under the hood. It should run for maybe 30s to a minute and then cut off. sometimes the run longer, sometimes less, but they should kick on and then turn off.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C