Starts when it wants to

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

sk8androck4fun34
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Starts when it wants to

Post by sk8androck4fun34 »

Ive just bought another cabriolet about half a year ago. Its a 93 with a manual tranny, been running great since i got it until about a month ago.

It slowly started getting slower at starting and everyday got alittle worse. It eventually got to the point where it wouldnt start everytime, it would take me a few tries to get it to start. Right now its at the point where i can go outside, put the key in and it will start up fast, or it wont at all no matter how long i try. Its very random and i cant seem to find the variable thats causing it to start when it does start good. Im very confused

At first i thought it was electrical, i started with the ignition coil (replacing each one of these parts one at a time, checking for results after each), then the plugs, wires, and cap and rotor. Still no better.

So then i thought that maybe it was fuel related, because when i could get it started it would run amazing, and i know that the in-tank pump feeds the fuel reservoir when you start the car and the main pump underneath feed fuel while its running (or at least thats what i thought i learned.) So i assume its gota be the in-tank fuel pump, so i buy one, swap it out, no better :(

I did alittle research, came to the thought that maybe it the fuel pump relay, changed that yesterday and still no better, at all! Runs amazing when i get it started tho, have to emphasize that. But now im even more lost and need some help
87 VW Cabriolet
91 Jeep Wrangler YJ