81 1.6 gas know how

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: 81 1.6 gas know how

Post by Briano1234 »

Do I know how difficult a/c compressors are to remove?

I have been fussing with this set up since 1981 on my rabbit diesel....
Back then I didn't have a Bentley for it but just a Haynes. And it took me about 6 years before I found what was to me the hidden bolt...

On a side note the adjuster bracket for belt tension on a 86 (barrel bolt design) is far superior than the 90 pos toothed gear arrangement, and have converted both of my 90 cabs over to the older style, as getting belt tension is a piece of cake....

I spect I have removed and replaced that part about 30 or 50 times over the years on various cabbies/rabbits that I have owned. The first time is a beatch, but the proper amount of fussiness and never-seize makes it almost enjoyable the next times....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
randy1234
What year is your cabby?: 1981
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: 81 1.6 gas know how

Post by randy1234 »

Finally had an "Ahha" moment on this removal project. I did not know there were bolts holding on the AC bracket that were hidden behind the timing belt cover. :banghead:

Now after removing everything, I am trying to create a better way to mount the alternator and to leave the AC pump off. There are not any yards around here that I know of in order to find take-offs, but I will be looking.

Randy