Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Biosudds
What year is your cabby?: 1988
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Running Lights Stuck On

Post by Biosudds »

Hello,

New to the site and to Cabriolet ownership. I inherited a 1988 from my mother. It runs well but developed an interesting problem in the cold but humid weather last night. The running lights came on despite the headlight switch being turned off. I pulled both the hazard light switch and the headlight switch. With those out the running lights are still on. Does this indicate that it is the flasher relay that is bad, or is it something else? And if it is the relay, where are they located, as I haven't been able to find them (at least easily in the dark)?

Thanks,
Andrew
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Running Lights Stuck On

Post by Briano1234 »

The only relay that could do it is the Flasher relay. Just don't get a Wagner as a replacement as I have heard of strange things happening with those units.

http://cabby-info.com/images/Electrical ... ePanel.png
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Biosudds

Post by Biosudds »

Thanks for the link to the wiring diagram. Pulling the relay doesn't turn the running lights off. Now I am at a complete loss as to what could be keeping the running lights on.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Put all the switches back in and the relay.

Now key in, Ignition on.
Is it the Turn signals or the parking lights?
That is if the turns work, then we are looking at he parking lights.
If the turns don't work then we are looking at the turn signals.

For Grins and giggles... One at a time pull each fuse, when the lamps go out, then we know which fuse to concentrate on.

I would imagine that you may have a bad fuse and the lamps are being back fed or that another circuit is using the lamps as a ground path.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Hi there,

I am a little confused by your description.

So first question is: What do you mean by running lights?

If you mean the marker lights, tail lights (Not the brake lights) and the "city" lights in the front bumper, and the instrument lights. Start by pulling the head light switch. It controls all thise lights. I would suspect an internal fault there. Or something possibly shorting across the connector. Then pull Fuse #7 (from the illustration Brian gave you) and see which lights went out. Same with Fuse #8. If the appropriate lights went out, It would direct me back to the head light switch, connector and wiring to the fuse box. These cars are known for leaking around the windshield and you may have a few gremlins there.

If you mean the turn signals and warning flashers, you are already going in the right direction. Just remember to connect the black wire (usually with a blue stripe) to the warning flasher switch. It is seperate from the connector and is the 12 V line for your turn signals.

Finally, if it is your brake lights that are on, check the brake switch. It is mounted under the steering column so the prake pedal shaft depresses the switch when it is not being applied (no foot on brake). This switch is "Normally Closed" meaning when it is pushed, it will allow electrical current to flow and the brake lights will come on. If it is not making contact with the brake pedal, the brake lights will be on.

Hope this helps.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Biosudds

Post by Biosudds »

Alright, with the relay in, key in, and ignition on the parking lights and tail lights are on.

The turn signal lights work just fine.

The parking lights and tail lights are what are stuck on.

Removing fuse #7 (left side tail, parking lights) cuts the power to the tail and parking lights on both sides.

The tail light on the right hand side is not always on but the left side is.

After they have been on for 10ish minutes there is a "humming" noise coming from the fuse panel that goes away when fuse 7 is pulled.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

You have a back feed.

F8 and f7 are the fuses for the parking lights, f8 powers the right and f7 powers the left.
both get power from the headlight switch.

I would look at your Trunk for a wire that is off, or not connected correctly, or a blown fuse.
One at a time check to see that all your fuses are good.

I guess it could also be corrosion on the fuse box, as it do sound a little bizarre.
Briano

CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Briano1234 wrote:You have a back feed.

F8 and f7 are the fuses for the parking lights, f8 powers the right and f7 powers the left.
both get power from the headlight switch.

I would look at your Trunk for a wire that is off, or not connected correctly, or a blown fuse.
One at a time check to see that all your fuses are good.

I guess it could also be corrosion on the fuse box, as it do sound a little bizarre.
I agree. There are defenatly Gremlins there. But I still think in the area of the fuse box.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Yup, check the back of the fuse box. Sounds like some wires touching or some water got in there and bridged the gap.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C