Low Temp Thermostat and switch experience...Thoughts?

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

cabrio2k
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Low Temp Thermostat and switch experience...Thoughts?

Post by cabrio2k »

So, I have been considering going with the low temp (80 degree) thermostat and low temp switch...I have not run my car yet but I figure I might as well do it since I hear from many of you of how hot these engines run...

What are your thoughts/experiences on this topic...I've searched and only found one thread relating to it on Vortex and it was back in '05...Both posters had positive reviews but wondered on the long term effects...

Any insight?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Low Temp Thermostat and switch experience...Thoughts?

Post by Briano1234 »

80? that is Celsius I hope, as if you meant Fahrenheit then you might as well leave it out.

I would say that running a cooler engine could lead to the engine thinking that it is running cold and enriching the mix, this would lead to decreased Gas Mileage, and Premature Catalytic Pervertor failure, as well as increasing emissions.

If I lived in a area where there is constant sun shine and high temps, then I might be wanting to decrease the operating Temps of the engine, but if you live in a colder climate then you might see a decrease in heat out of the vents.

If you have a clean running cooling system, that is a flushed and back flushed system, and a new water pump, then lowering the t-stat isn't going to assist you much more than that IMHO. The radiator fan switches may also be fooled and not come on as much as the temp of the coolant may be under the thresholds of that as well.

The normal 195 t-stat was used by VW to keep the engine and cooling system running for designed efficiencies.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

As I said over at the other place: Unless you're living in a place that is incredibly hot for most of the year, it's pretty pointless swapping to a lower temp t-stat. It's perfectly normal for these 8V engines to run between 200 and 230°F. :wink:
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

A lower temp fan switch might make sense if you want the car to run cooler in traffic. I don't think a cooler thermostat will help you any, though. By the time the engine gets hot enough to worry about, even the stock thermostat is already fully open.

What problem are you trying to solve, specifically?
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
cabrio2k
What year is your cabby?: 1993

Post by cabrio2k »

Oh ok...Thanks for the responses...No problems at all...I'm in the process of overhauling my newly bought 93 and wondered if I should switch to lower temp since I will be swapping the stat out when I do the water pump/belts