Ooops

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Ooops

Post by sixsracing »

The run with my Cabby is over. Found some unmarked construction on one of my favorite twisty roads. 4" drop onto loose gravel with a large lip coming up fast so I touched the brakes. Bad idea. Lost control, nearly got it back but didn't. Slammed the guardrail at slightly less than 75MPH or so with the front end. Grille and 4 headlights gone, right front fender missing from front to about the rear of the wheel. Pushed it back into the passenger door, crinkled the left front fender as well. Bumper worse than it was and it wasn't good to begin with. Funny noises from suspension components too. 7 years and 100,000 miles, it was a lot of fun while it lasted. Probably be getting another one in the future but have a wedding to pay for so not right away. I'll still be lurking if you need me.

Steve
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Ooops

Post by Briano1234 »

sixsracing wrote:The run with my Cabby is over. Found some unmarked construction on one of my favorite twisty roads. 4" drop onto loose gravel with a large lip coming up fast so I touched the brakes. Bad idea. Lost control, nearly got it back but didn't. Slammed the guardrail at slightly less than 75MPH or so with the front end. Grille and 4 headlights gone, right front fender missing from front to about the rear of the wheel. Pushed it back into the passenger door, crinkled the left front fender as well. Bumper worse than it was and it wasn't good to begin with. Funny noises from suspension components too. 7 years and 100,000 miles, it was a lot of fun while it lasted. Probably be getting another one in the future but have a wedding to pay for so not right away. I'll still be lurking if you need me.

Steve
Man that is so sadddddddd... But if it was state unmarked construction, you might investigate as they are liable.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
rabbitinfife
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by rabbitinfife »

Hopefully you are ok, are you going to part it?
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

It was state run, however. I left the scene, I had an illegal inspection sticker, racing slick tires that are two sizes larger than legal, a cracked windshield and the car was totalled out last year as well. Didn't think pushing the issue was wise. Neither did my buddy that works for the DOT. Nuff' said. :-)

I am fine, no bruises, no scratches. In fact, I got up and rode my bicycle 20 miles the very next day. God is good, even to fools evidently.

I will be parting it out at some time. Waiting for the wife to calm down and the wedding to be paid for before I broach the subject of a replacement. For now, I have to choose between a Lexus LX450 and my 83' CB1100F. Life's rough.
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
bbrown
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by bbrown »

WOW! Glad you are okay. The construction didn't happen to be in Ellsworth did it? Rt. 1A is undergoing some serious construction and has lots of "drops" from old pavement to dirt to new pavement. You still wanting a Yellow (Nugget something or other right?) Clipper Kit manual trans Cabby right? I am going to have to stop by sometime. Once again glad you made it out okay and sorry for the loss of your car.
~Buster

1986 VW Cabriolet 1.8 5 spd.

~__|__\__
[(O)__(O)]
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Very sad to hear this, but glad you are alright.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

Not looking right now cause of the wedding thing but shortly I hope. Yeah, bright yellow clipper with a standard would be perfect. All my mechanicals are fine so even the tranny is negotiable.
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom