wacky locking system

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

timinator
What year is your cabby?: 2002
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

wacky locking system

Post by timinator »

Our '02 Cabrio GLX locks and unlocks normally when you use the door switches, but if you lock it using the remote there is a one minute delay before it locks. Does anyone have any advice on resetting the system so that it locks immediately when you push the button, instead of waiting for a minute?
My wife has "misplaced" the owners manual for the car, and now wants me to fix whatever she did to make it do this.posting.php?mode=post&f=7#
Thanks.
Tim
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: wacky locking system

Post by CalAltaDubber »

First, Welcome to TRF.

Since your car is much newer than most of the cars people here have it is quite different in many respects.

Since it is a 2002 model year, we can safly assume it is on the MK 3 chassis. (later ones like yours did have a make over to look like MK 4s but they are a MK 3).

With that in mind it sounds like one of the micro-switches in the door has failed (It has happened twice on my '99 Jetta).

A simple test for this is to open the door and observe the interior lights, If they do not illuminate, the switch is most likly faulty. The computer in the car does not know if the door is open or not. It is known to cause several different strange symptoms similar to what you have described.

The fault could be from either front door or the trunk lid.

I know I haven't given you much to work with, but I hope it helps.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image