Instrument cluster light

Mom always said it's what is on the inside that counts

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

vwgrl
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Instrument cluster light

Post by vwgrl »

Ok, ran across another problem. My instrument cluster light is out. All gauges and led lights work fine the best I can tell, however when I drive at night the cluster is dark. Is there a bulb to replace and how do I get to it? Thanks!
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Instrument cluster light

Post by Briano1234 »

There are 3 bulbs in the cluster. They are usually in non-replaceable sockets. So you have to buy the bulb and socket.

But wait..

Go to a wrecking yard and I personally know that the sockets from:
Isuzu rodeo
Nissan Pathfinder
Saturn SL

Will fit.

You then go to the autoparts store and get replacement lamps for the car that you take them out of but instead of
getting the regular lamps you buy the "warning" bulb. They are higher wattage.

If you take the socket holder off the cluster by carefully removing the bulbs and the mylar, then you take the whole socket holder off, then you can remove the green film, and replace the holder and glue with pb-blaster, then with the new bulbs you will now SEE some lights.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: Instrument cluster light

Post by gull »

If they're all out, it may not be the bulbs. Are the gauges in the center console out, too? Try moving the thumbwheel above the headlight switch that controls the instrument cluster lamp brightness -- sometimes they get dead spots.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force