Remove Crankshaft Pully Belt on 85 Cabby

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

joshr65
What year is your cabby?: 1985
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Remove Crankshaft Pully Belt on 85 Cabby

Post by joshr65 »

Need to replace my AC compressor belt so need to remove the crankshaft pulley belt. I have loosened every bolt I can see but still can't move the pulley up so I can loosen the belt enough to remove!

I must be missing one but I can't see it. I have tapped with a hammer and it does not move a bit.

Help please.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Remove Crankshaft Pully Belt on 85 Cabby

Post by Briano1234 »

You loosen the a/c compressor get it as low as you can go. Then pry the Belt off the a/c pulley. Putting it in is a PITA to.. But you Pry it over the pulley.

http://www.the152.com/modules.php?name= ... pic&t=2636

http://www.the152.com/modules.php?name= ... pic&t=2636
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
joshr65

Post by joshr65 »

Well I cut the AC belt off. I don't see how you slip the new one onto the pull w/o removing the crankshaft belt.??
joshr65

Post by joshr65 »

The A/C does not work anyway, I am only replacing belt cause its squealing. Maybe I should just figure out where to get a part to bypass it entirely.
bbrown
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by bbrown »

This if from one of my threads were I tackle deleting the A/C and reusing everything you already have to make it work:
bbrown wrote:So its been awhile since I posted in here, but I have fixed my A/C compressor problem for the final time. About two weeks ago (or so) I lost one of the bolts from the compressor to the block mount AGAIN. That was the final straw. I jumped on the Tex read Moljinar's post on how he removed his A/C. Since I don't have power steering mine was a little different, but very similar. I removed the alternator, compressor, and then I removed the bracket that holds both the ac compressor and alternator. It is held on by two bolts that are connected to the water pump and one allen bolt that is mounted to small bracket affixed directly to the block

Images stolen from Molinjar:
Old useless bracket

Remaining bracket and new bolts (I reused the old bolts and added some spacers (nuts) to take into account the bolt being to long by them selves and not wanting to buy new hardware).

Once removed the ac/alternator bracket reveals a new opening as seen above and it exactly the same size as the one needed for the alternator. So I slapped my alternator in and started mock up with the belt to see what I needed for spacing on the alt pully to get proper alignment with the water pump and crank pulleys. I busted out the impact gun and took the pulley off from the alternator. The pulley had four washers under the nut that holds the pulley on. I took these along with one more washer and put them on the backside of the pulley extension and they put the pulley darn near exactly where it needed to be. I know the proper way to do this is with a custom pulley extension, but I worked with what I had. Now belts- the stock belt that goes around the crank, water pump, and ac pulleys will work with this set up and is currently what I have on the car. I bought a belt for a non ac car which is a little skinnier so that it seats better on the alt pulley, but I have not installed it yet.

Here is some of my pics of the setup:
You can see the washers here notice the decent alignement

Lots less crap under the hood now

So there it is.
This should help get you through removing your A/C. Good luck. :thumbup:
~Buster

1986 VW Cabriolet 1.8 5 spd.

~__|__\__
[(O)__(O)]
joshr65

Post by joshr65 »

Thanks! I'll start ripping mine apart and see how it goes!
bbrown

Post by bbrown »

If you go the route I did in deleting the ac there is a guy that I found through the Vortex that does make the extended alt pulleys necessary for proper belt alignment here is the link http://toywagen.com/

You can do what I did with the washers, but truth be told I will most likely end up buying one of these pulleys. Then again maybe not since my long term goal is to go with an ABA/JH hybrid motor with serpentine belt setup, so what I have will work until then. Good luck. :thumbup:
~Buster

~__|__\__
[(O)__(O)]
joshr65

Post by joshr65 »

My pulley seems diff from yours. There is no way it will extend far enuf to have good alignment with washers
and still engage the key to turn the shaft. I guess I will need to order the pully from toywagen. Bummer, was hoping to
finish this today. Anyway, thanks for great pics. They helped alot. Taking that a/c out was a PIA :rmad:

Josh
bbrown

Post by bbrown »

The difference is probably the alternator. Mine is a new 95A one and it doesn't use a key slot. With the washers I am still grabbing enough thread to be "safe." As for removing the A/C being a PIA I can't say. Mine came out pretty easy, but I hear that is often not the case. With that kit from toywagen you should be good to go. Good luck. :thumbup:
~Buster

~__|__\__
[(O)__(O)]
joshr65

Post by joshr65 »

2 questions: Do you need the timing cover top piece on?
And what is this below the waterpump?

Thx!
Attachments
vw.jpg
vw.jpg (91.52 KiB) Viewed 6661 times
bbrown

Post by bbrown »

joshr65 wrote:2 questions: Do you need the timing cover top piece on?
And what is this below the waterpump?

Thx!
To answer your first question: No, you do not need the upper timing belt cover. I am not sure what you are asking in the second question. Are you asking what the pulley is for? It looks like it could be power steering, but I am under the impression that '85s didn't have power steering.
~Buster

~__|__\__
[(O)__(O)]
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

That is the power steering pump pulley, and the pump that is attached to it.

No you don't need timing belt covers, but if you want FOD to the timing belt then leave it off, it is there to eliminate the possibility of
FOD carnage... (Foreign Object Damage).
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
bbrown

Post by bbrown »

Briano1234 wrote:That is the power steering pump pulley, and the pump that is attached to it.

No you don't need timing belt covers, but if you want FOD to the timing belt then leave it off, it is there to eliminate the possibility of
FOD carnage... (Foreign Object Damage).
True about the timing belt cover, but that thing was a beotch to get off and I wasn't about to put it back on. Plus the look so much cooler without them. If my belt breaks due to FOD then I have no one to blame other than myself, but I am fine with that. Glad you knew that the pulley was for the power steering pump. I kind of thought it was. I had some kind of inclining that power steering wasn't offered until later, but GAP confirms that it was an option from '85-93. You learn something new everyday. :beer:
~Buster

~__|__\__
[(O)__(O)]
joshr65

Post by joshr65 »

Well that answers those questions! Maybe I'll just leave the top timing belt cover off.
Next question if you don't mind. My alternator has the red positive cable and there is also a smaller blue wire coming
out of the cable tunnel that is not attached to the alternator. What is it and should it go to to the pos terminal
of the alternator?

Also is the best way to test the alternator to hook a multi meter to the pos and neg terms of the alternator and read
the voltage there?

Thanks again!
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

The blue wire is the "exciter" or feed back to the alternator to put out power...
It attaches to the Stud that is below the Big one in the black bakelite housing.

Closest pic I have.

The best way to test it is to take it to AutoZone or Advance, and have it tested.
If the blue wire isn't on the little stud, then your alternator is going to be clamped down, and not put out.
Briano