Which wire is correct????

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Amberjack
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Which wire is correct????

Post by Amberjack »

I have experienced the proverbal cold start problem on my 1989 Cabby CIS. I was testing my oxy thermoswitch and I noticed that Bentley's shows 2 brown/white wires coming from one terminal and one brown/red wire coming from the other. I'm OK with the 2 brown/white wires BUT.... I have a gray wire coming from the other terminal. Laying on the distributor vacumn hose was a lonely brown/red wire with a slot that just fits the terminal. ????? The gray wire is not in any conduit. It runs around the engine and goes through the firewall behind the glovebox, where oxy control unit is. I've checked continuity of the brown/red wire at the fuel enrichment switch and it is correct as per Bentley's wiring diagram for 1987-1989 Electronic Engine Controls (Page 3 of 3 circuit 31,30,29). I see NO gray wires in THAT circuit. Where did the gray wire come from? Which is the correct wire to connect to the oxs thermoswitch?

Oh, by the way does anybody have a method to get those 2 - 5mm (not 6mm Bentley) bolts out of the control pressure regulator after they have been stripped beyond use. No, I can't get the smallest vice-grip on them!! I don't want to have to pull the radiator and AC cooler out just to drill and easy-out them. Also can't, or won't use heat because of fuel and other parts around the regulator. I have been trying to figure a way but have just about given up.
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Re: Which wire is correct????

Post by kamzcab86 »

You said that there is a brown/red wire on the full-throttle (aka fuel enrichment) switch? There should be a gray wire bundled with that brown/red wire, and THAT gray wire goes to the ECU. The lonely brown/red wire just laying around should be connected to the thermo-switch and its other end should run up to the full-throttle switch, which is wired into the gray ECU wire.

The thermo-switch is connected to the ECU through the full-throttle switch and cold-start enrichment relay on '88-'89 cars. On '87 and earlier cars, those two switches are wired directly to the ECU. So, it sounds like a previous owner may have tried to bypass the full-throttle switch for some stupid reason, by wiring the thermo-switch directly to the ECU, or the two wires separated on their own and the PO didn't know how to wire them back up correctly.

In short: Disconnect the gray wire and re-connect the brown/red wire to the thermo-switch. Disconnect the brown/red wire from the full-throttle switch, then get out your wiring tools and re-join the brown/red and gray wires together and re-connect them to the full-throttle switch. :beer: