Performance 1.8 new or rebuilt?

Add how-to's or talk about hi-end engine mods for the performance minded types.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

sk8androck4fun34
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Performance 1.8 new or rebuilt?

Post by sk8androck4fun34 »

Im looking to buy a new engine for my 87 cabriolet. i prefer new but if i need to get a rebuilt one thats fine. i want to keep the 8v 1.8 but if i can i would like to find one that has performance options, like upgrades cam, lifters, etc... if anyone knows where to find a crate engine like that or performance rebuild let me know. thanx
87 VW Cabriolet
91 Jeep Wrangler YJ
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Re: Performance 1.8 new or rebuilt?

Post by CalAltaDubber »

I'm not sure about the US, but here in Calgary there is a place called Cetus. The re-manufacture engines (as opposed to rebuild). The difference is they replace everything and offer a new engine warrenty.

If you don't have a problem dealing across the Canadian border, I can find out more about them for you.

Here is their url http://www.fireboltengines.com/
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

"New" engines usually are not new unless you buy right from VW. The reason being is the block is a very difficult part to source new.

As far as performance goes. Buying a juiced motor from another means you trust them to:
a) assemble it correctly
b) use the parts specified
c) back it up if something happens to go wrong

In my experience one or more of these issues comes up with crate motors. Sometimes all. You would be far ahead of the game to build your own. It really isn't out of the question if you put some time into prep. Buy a good VW performance book and you would be surprised at just how much money you will save. Then you know what's been done, who did it and most importantly what is inside.

And no, I will never again use a motor that I have not personally torn down and built back up. Short sad story.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

sk8androck4fun34 wrote:Im looking to buy a new engine for my 87 cabriolet. i prefer new but if i need to get a rebuilt one thats fine. i want to keep the 8v 1.8 but if i can i would like to find one that has performance options, like upgrades cam, lifters, etc... if anyone knows where to find a crate engine like that or performance rebuild let me know. thanx
You can always buy the performance parts yourself (yes, they are available!) and have the shop install them during the rebuilding of your current engine.

Crate engines are available through sources other than the VW dealer (my dad bought one for his buddy's Rabbit GTI years ago), but by the time you do that you could just rebuild/upgrade your existing engine for less.

:beer:
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

I only suggested the dealer because he was asking about "new". Most of the engine builders out there use "pre-owned" blocks to build their "new" motors.
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
sk8androck4fun34

where are some good places to buy performance engine parts to use if i rebuild the engine myself? im familiar with rebuilding engines, just never a vw, or a 4 cylinder.
87 VW Cabriolet
91 Jeep Wrangler YJ
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

sk8androck4fun34 wrote:where are some good places to buy performance engine parts to use if i rebuild the engine myself? im familiar with rebuilding engines, just never a vw, or a 4 cylinder.
Check out Kammy's www.cabby-info.com for a list of providers.

And if you are used to doing a V8, you only have to do half as much.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

Neuspeed is a fairly reliable name, pricey but worth it.

Shine Racing Systems was doing motors/parts and I think they still do.

Calimus turned me on to MJM Autohaus and they have a good website.

Make sure you do your research and get parts that work together. If you are looking for low end acceleration don't buy a head with large valves. If your looking for more top end don't buy a cam with a huge lift and duration. Unfortunately, a lot of people out there have all kinds of different opinions on what will work best. Find a vendor that you can feel comfortable with and use them for the information they provide. That's what they are for. Of course you can always post here and somebody will help.

What exactly are you looking to gain? Speed? Acceleration? You need to be able to explain to yuorself and the vendor just what you expect to get for your money and time.
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
sk8androck4fun34

im not looking to be super fast, no 300 hp or anything, but better than stock for sure. i love low end power much more, im not big into street racing anymore but being able to go fast on the pedal for a quick burst is always good. i like acceleration more than top speed. i want a car that will be reliable day to day but enough power to satisfy needs when i want to
87 VW Cabriolet
91 Jeep Wrangler YJ
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

Neuspeed 3/4 race cam, lightweight flywheel, some light head work (re-seat valves and maybe heavier springs) if your car is older with a fuel distributor then find a throttle body off of an 80's Audi 5000 and you would probably be pretty happy. One step more would be to use a 2.0L block and a better flowing manifold. (headers or late model manifold and modified downpipe)

Then drive it like you stole it. :twisted:
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

Also keep in mind that if your engine is old and tired, just rebuilding it with fresh rings and a valve job, and giving the fuel system a thorough tune-up, will probably unlock some power. Engines tend to lose power and efficiency as they age and the compression drops.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force