For those who have a boot storage bag...

Want to share info about things other then cabriolets? Post it here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber, Briano1234

kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

For those who have a boot storage bag...

Post by kamzcab86 »

...I need your honest opinions.

I sent one to a guy in Europe who received it on or about March 9th. Today, March 31st, I received an email from the guy saying the following:
*cheap quality material
*Velcro doesn't stick
*his 5-year-old could've done better with the logo (Cab icon)

Considering it's April 1st over there, I wouldn't be surprised if it's all a joke because this the first time in the 5 years I've been making the things that I've received a complaint; and if it is a joke, it's in very poor taste. Anyway, he would like a refund and will return the bag; if not, he will "just have to keep it".

My questions are:
Is the material (vinyl) of cheap quality?
Does the Velcro really not stick? (I'm thinking of going with snaps on all future bags.)
What do you think could be improved upon?

I don't really give a crap about the Cab icons; I only add them to the bags as a courtesy... plus, they are optional. If the general consesus is that they suck, I'll eliminate them altogether.

Thanks, guys! :beer:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: For those who have a boot storage bag...

Post by Briano1234 »

I didn't have a problem with it not working. You can use the industrial velcro that will hold a astronaut to the space shuttle at lift off.

Remember they hate us mericans over there, they forget who won both wars for them and who picked up the reconstruction tab... then forgave the loans.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by sixsracing »

I don't have one but I spent enough time in retail to give back a little,

You can't please all of the people all of the time, and sometimes you don't want to. :banghead:

People suck, it's just a fact.

If you truly do the best you possibly can, never just say "Well, that's the best I can do", and sell a product you would use yourself and be happy with then your scoring way higher than 99% of the rest of the world. :wink:
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
SoCal_Cabby
Postus-Whorus-Maximus
What year is your cabby?: 0

Post by SoCal_Cabby »

keep in mind everyone has a different idea of quality work...this guy might be like me and expect absolute perfection...

case in point. im looking for an upholstry shop for my jetta and all the shop that everyone has suggested hasnt made the cut, none of the work i have seen in any of these shop is up to my expectations.

some people are just hard to please
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Kammy,

To answer your question, I'll ask you two.

How long have you been making these? and
Have you had any complaints before?

It is possable that it isn't what he expected, and he is making it look like crap to get you to refund his money, get a discount or even try to rip you off.

To be honest, I would offer him a refund, but he will have to pay to ship the bag back to you first, within 30 days of his receiving the bag. Also the bag would have to be in the same condition as when you sent it to him.

My 2 cents
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Well, keep in mind that April Fools is something us Yanks observe, not the Brits as far as I know. So I would take him as seriouse.

Apparently, this guy is expecting Chanel leather w/gold zippers and a cabby icon made from Swarovski crystals :roll:

As has been said, you can't please everyone. But you can do right by "his" ideas and then never do any kind of business with him again. I have no issues with the bag that Cristine got from you. Looks fine, works as it should. Then again, the second is the only real requirement that most of us men have :P

Get your bag back, refund his money and then flush the whole memory down the toilet. :thumbup:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
kamzcab86

Post by kamzcab86 »

Phil, to answer your questions, I've been making these storage bags for about 5 years, maybe a tad longer. In that time, this is the only complaint I've ever received... which is actually pretty good! However, it made me wonder if others had the same complaints and just haven't ever said anything. :?

To this guy, spending 20 of his GBP was "a lot of money for something [he] could've made [himself]." To him, the bag is worth a "fiver". :roll: In my reply, I explained that the vinyl alone costs that much, if not more, not to mention the fact that 1/3rd of that 20 was in shipping costs.

I told him that despite it being over two weeks since he received the item, to return it if he wants. If I get it within 10 days and in the same condition it left my hands, I'll refund his payment. :thumbup:
SoCal_Cabby wrote:keep in mind everyone has a different idea of quality work...this guy might be like me and expect absolute perfection...
I'm a perfectionist as well. I'm presently making new seat covers for my boat to keep the sun off the upholstery; one snap is off 1/2" and it's killing me!! :x :lol: But re-upholstering is one thing, a little storage bag that sits in the trunk of a car is quite another.

In one respect, it seemed like he had extremely high expectations for this thing due to it being an incredible £20(!), but in another it seemed like he thought I was a retail outlet selling a crappy "Made In China" product. :screwy:

At any rate, thanks for the feedback everyone. I wasn't going to do the refund thing, but you guys made me see the light. :beer: And if anyone has any improvement ideas for the bags, feel free to post 'em up.
ArjenE

Post by ArjenE »

Briano1234 wrote:Remember they hate us mericans over there, they forget who won both wars for them and who picked up the reconstruction tab... then forgave the loans.
1: hahaahahaahahaa, thats over 60years ago, and why should we hate you? :roll:
And dont forget the US got the triljon dollar guild as we speak, in this whole financial crisis.
2: yes, we do know and observe aprils fools over here, we all prank eachother the whole day, also with funny items in the news etc. making thins dissapear etc.

but this is all offtopic, what exacly is a boot storage bag?
The bag that goes over the roof when its down?
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Well Kamy I think you did the right thing.

Just remember there are some people that are never happy. Some things to them are never good enough, dispite being well made.

Knowing how much things cost in the UK, I'll bet he couldn't produce one for the price of yours.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

ArjenE wrote:but this is all offtopic, what exacly is a boot storage bag?
No, not quite. We call that the boot over here. This is a storage bag to store that cover in while the top is up.

Don't be too worried about going off topic here, we don't mind.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
ArjenE

Post by ArjenE »

ok, i have a original boot storage bag with a zipper.
but i cant say i really use it, when the bootcover is not used, its just laying foulded next to the subwoofer in the trunk.

when i put it in the bag, its to big to fit nice :roll:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

I was remiss, I don't own "a" boot bag, I have 2 of them made a couple of years apart, and to be honest...(Can we be honest?).
There is no appreciable degradation in material or Workwomanship between the 2. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I use the bejezzers outta them.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kamzcab86

Post by kamzcab86 »

ArjenE wrote:but this is all offtopic, what exacly is a boot storage bag?
The Brits call it a "hood bag", we Yanks call it a boot... either way it's the top's cover, and here is the storage bag that we're talking about: http://cabby-info.com/bootbag.htm . :wink:
Briano1234 wrote:There is no appreciable degradation in material or Workwomanship between the 2. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ah, so they suck equally, eh? :lol: :P :P
kamzcab86

Post by kamzcab86 »

Update: Received a reply the next day from the guy. I'll post the highlights:

*I didn't realize you make them yourself.
*I still expected better quality.
*It's been 2 weeks, yes, but I also have a full-time job.
*By the time I pay to ship it back, it wouldn't be worth it so I'll just keep it.

He's got a full-time job and took over 2 weeks to complain, yet replied the very next day to my email? Whatever... :roll:

A) The material quality isn't to his standards, but is the bag usable? YES!
B) If he thought it was a waste of money and now doesn't care to return it, why bother complaining and just sell it?
:screwy:
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Let's face it Kammy,

He was just trying to make you give him a refund or a cut on the deal.

Now he is only trying to save face.

Did you tell him that he is the only one to ever complain?

I like the full time job line. What does he think we all do on this side of the Atlantic? Second thought, we don't need to go there.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image