Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Vag-com tool

Post by sixsracing »

Has anybody had any experience with the Vag-com downloadable software from Ross-Tech? The 98 Beetle I have aquired is in need of a Throttle Body Alignment and it seems [other than towing it to a dealer] that I am going to need to obtain this software. The software is free, I'll need to download it to a laptop (not free) and I also need an interface cable to connect the OBDII port to the laptop's USB port (really not free). My concern is this, I have read that there may be a dongle required that is built into the cable, if this is true then just any interface cable won't do. So, anybody got answers?
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Re: Vag-com tool

Post by kamzcab86 »

All you need is the right interface cable for your PC; according to Ross-Tech, the dongle is built in: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/a ... abrio.html ... and you'll also need the software and the driver. Once the software and driver are installed, the cable is plug-and-play... according to VWvortexers who have it.

Interface cable: $350
Software: free
Driver: free
Laptop: $400-500 new (if you don't already have one)

Probably actually cheaper just to go the dealer. :mrgreen: :P
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

I just got shipping confirmation from Ross-Tech, ordered it Saturday night after I talked to a friend of mine who services laptops. I don't have one but he seems to think he can lay his hands on on old one that will do the job. There are all kinds of cables on the internet but after researching the Vag-Com site I decided I better order from Ross-Tech and make sure the software and cable get along as they should. I can't believe I have gotten along as well as I have without the tool, time to pay the piper.
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Vag-com is an awesome tool. Has saved my bacon several times on the Jetta and I can't tell you how many folks in the Atlanta area I've helped with it.

It's pretty straight forward to use and the ross-tech website has many of the procedures you can do in pdf downloadable format.

As for a laptop, I use my Acer Aspire One (netbook) for tuning my bike and for the vagcom. It's super small, super light and is all I need. They go for about $350 brand new. But if you can get an older lappy for cheaper, so long as it has a few USB ports, you are all set.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

I don't know how old this laptop will be, but it's coming from somebody that services them for a living. I know that it will run Windows 98 and that it has at least one USB port. Am I going to need more than one port?
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
gull

Post by gull »

If you need more than one port, you can buy a USB hub for less than $20.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

nope, you only need one usb port for the vag tool. Win98 should be fine for the vagcom, I don't think they have made their software Win2k and up yet (not sure if they ever plan to), so you should be good or a while. Just remember to hook the laptop up to the internet from time to time and lauch the vag software as it will search for an update and ask if you want to download it.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C