engine and trans

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

gusfuller
What year is your cabby?: 1992

engine and trans

Post by gusfuller »

I have a 1992 wolfsburg edition. I am thinking about putting a 16v sirroco engine in it. Does anyone know if the trans will bolt up?
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: engine and trans

Post by gull »

This info might be helpful to you:
http://www.cabby-info.com/engine.htm#swap
From the info on that page it looks like the trans will work but you'll need to use the pressure plate from the donor car. I've never done it, though, so YMMV.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

Almost any water cooled VW L4 cylinder is a straight forward swap. Engine harnesses, clutches, mounts and exhaust will give you the most headaches but all can be overcome. If this is your daily driver you should plan for every potential snare. But if the vehicle can be down awhile then dig in and be like Nike. There is a lot of info. on the net, both good and bad. Don't believe all of either one.
By the way, why are you doing the swap? Power, appearance or other? I'm only asking because I have talked with quite a few others that have done or were going to go to 16V for power and later realized that the same gains could be realized with camshaft and head/cylinder work with less complexity.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
gull

Post by gull »

I've also heard some people suggest that the 8-valve is actually a better engine for street driving. Peak torque comes in much lower, at 3,000 RPM, whereas you have to rev the 16-valve over 4,000 before much happens. Of course, the trade-off is by 4,000 RPM in the 8-valve you're making more noise than power. ;)

It probably depends on your driving style. If you enjoy winding 'em out you'd probably have a blast making a 16-valve sing.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

The 16v has power all over the place just like an 8v, there just happens to be more of it.

It really boils down to the trans you will be using. Most of the 8v trans will require very quick shifting to keep the rev's in check and the tires from spinning. Overall though, it will be a very fun combo.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C