What do you think?

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

What do you think?

Post by Briano1234 »

hate the motor mounts, and I have 2 cab's that need them... so I have been pondering now can I do this with out the disassembly of the engine to get the mount bracket off. There has to be a better way....

My first idea was to make a new mount, but I would still have to remove the mount to re-manufacture it.

Now after a few more weeks of pondering.

Since we have to usually cut the old mount out, I have had this thought that I figured if I share it we can get a consensus of will it work or won't it.

Take the Drivers side tranny mount off. (allows the engine to pivot on front and rear mount.)
Take the Passenger side bolt out.

Jack or lift the engine on the drivers side to clear the mount from the frame bracket.

Cut old mount out, and remove.

Cut the New Mount on the bottom to make a 1/16 to 1/8 slice.
"C"This should allow you to Press the mount in place on the car with but a "C" clamp

My thoughts on this is:
1. That the cut is on the bottom where the mount is void.
2. The cut will allow the metal to compress.
3. As This mount will still be supported by the mount bracket it doesn't matter if it is sliced.
4. It can't vibrate out of the mount but about 1/4 of an inch on either side if it vibrates out at all

So what do yall think is this the cat's pajama's?
or
Boondoggle.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
jmbrownell
What year is your cabby?: 1981
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: What do you think?

Post by jmbrownell »

You seem to be the guru, and im sure you would have thought of this, but when I was looking at mine (which needs to be replaced) It looks like all I would have to do is put a jack under the engine. and unbolt the mount, then slip the new one in. This wouldn't work? I have to replace the passenger side mount, Didn't really notice if there was less room on the drivers side.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: What do you think?

Post by Briano1234 »

Well yes and no,

You have to remove the following parts.
crank pulleys,
timing belt,
water pump pulley,
power steering pump belt
lower timing cover

This will allow you to get to the allens that hold the bracket to the car. Yes you have to jack the engine, but the actual mount itself has to be cut or pressed out. Then Pressed back in. This is true for either the drivers side tranny mount or the passenger side engine mount.

I know because I just did this to my blue cab about 3 months ago, and am getting ready to do this to my green cabby on Wed, as my daughters front end collision took out all 4 mounts.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: