81 cabby running problem

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

littlegolf
What year is your cabby?: 1981

81 cabby running problem

Post by littlegolf »

my 81 cabby was stud 15 year not started i got it up and running after few hours messing on with fuel pump freeing off the fuel distribtor replacing filter cleaning injectors so any way got it running tick over lovelly few seconds then misses and then dies same a again hot or cold even keep revs up runnes about 5 seconds then misses and dies starts staight back up then dies again i konw its not fuel pump relay as had it linked out and cold be injectors or pump or fuel distribtor
and as parts so hard to find and can expensive buying new parts will hurt my pocket just to try as be lot money just change any thing :screwy: :screwy: :?
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: 81 cabby running problem

Post by CalAltaDubber »

First off, since this is your first post, Welcome to TRF,

The fact that the car runs at all, makes me think the most of the components are working properly.

There is a feedback circuit that if there is no signal, will cut off the fuel pump. This is to prevent the fuel pump from running and pumping fuel in the event of an accident after the engine has stopped.

Do you have a Bently manual for your car? If not a wise investment.

Haynes are not quite as good, but should help here.

First check the red and black wire connected to the ignition coil. This wire provides the Engine running signal to the fuel pump relay (among other things).

If you have a multi meter, you should have continuity between pin 1 of the coil and L12 where the relay mounts to the relay panel.

If the wire is good, it might be the fuel pump relay.

To test that remove the relay and jumper across L13 and L14. This will provide 12 Vdc to the fuel pump directly and the fuel pump should start running. It is not a good plan to drive the car with this jumper in place.

If these two tests are good, it is probably the fuel pump relay.

As for parts, I have to disagree with you. Parts are still plentiful for these cars, and if you do some research, not too expensive. Kammy, one of our members, has a great web site with lots of good information called cabbyinfo.com. well worth a look.

There are many sourses of parts ranging from your local wrecking yard to aftemarket shops and a few places that source NOS parts.

Hope this helps you. Please keep us informed as to your progress.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
littlegolf

Post by littlegolf »

yes thanks for getting back to me im a auto electrain have bein past 15 yr know all about those problems on golfs electrics are all ok i would say down to fuel pressure is the problem got haynes man on it but does not really tell you much about injection system im on reshelling car i got new pump now go on when build back up so looks like just have keep trying bits to try see why not got full pressure to keep running as well the fuel dist was sized up inside on plunger had take to parts and pressure return valve was sized up as well what i get for buying car not being ran for 15 yr so cant expect any thing else is that person in uk for parts as up northeast were im at mk1 golfs are very hard find
:roll:
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Good to hear back from you.

I'm an avionics guy, so I tend to look more at the elictrical side of things first.

Since the electrics check out, I agree with you that the fuel distributer is probably the next place to look.

From your comments I gather that you are somwhere in the UK, Knowing this would help in trying to locate parts.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
littlegolf

Post by littlegolf »

ok thanks alot any help be good :mrgreen:
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

I agree it could be a fuel pressure problem. Have you checked to make sure the main pump is producing enough pressure? I'd check that first -- measure the system pressure and find out. You'll need to hot-wire around the relay for the test, since it won't keep running. These electric pumps sometimes don't take well to sitting.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

Oh, and you might want to pull the pickup tube out of the fuel tank and see if the strainer is clogged. If it's full of rust or varnish that would cause the symptoms you're seeing. I assume you've drained and refilled the tank -- you're not trying to run it on 15-year-old gas, right? :)
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
littlegolf

Post by littlegolf »

hi i just bein runnoing it out a can because filler neck was holed and tank had water in and fuel pump was all ready took off so did not have water or oold fuel in got new pump now tell you next week when put engine back in shell tell you what runnes like