Sponsor me & fight MS

Want to share info about things other then cabriolets? Post it here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber, Briano1234

vw_nick
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Sponsor me & fight MS

Post by vw_nick »

Hey guys - I apologize for the generic feeling to this note but I've tweaked it for hours and this is the best I've got. related to topless bunnies it's for a god cause... and I've got a bit of a slow start and need all the help I can get.

Greetings!

I used to bike a lot when I was a kid and through most of my teenage years, but when I moved away from home I had other things going on in my life and stopped riding all together. This past winter I had some extra time on my hands and decided to clean up my bikes – they were really dirty from hanging in the garage for nearly 7 years. I decided it was a shame to have them and not ride them around, so this spring I started biking again and haven’t looked back. A few weeks ago I found a brochure at a bike shop and found out how I can make a difference in someone’s life just by riding my bike.

On October 4th and 5th I will be joining hundreds of other cyclists in Franklin, Tennessee to ride a total of 150 miles in the bike ms ride. ( http://main.nationalmssociety.org/site/ ... fr_id=9291 ) This is an annual event hosted by the Mid South Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

By making a pledge on my behalf, you are supporting research and local services to those affected by this unpredictable disease, multiple sclerosis. MS is a devastating disease of the central nervous system that strikes young adults usually between the ages of 20 and 40. MS is devastating because it is so unpredictable. The progress, severity, and specific symptoms of the disease cannot be foreseen. You never know when attacks will occur, how long they will last, or how severe they will be.

My goal is to raise at least $800. Your donation is tax deductible within IRS rules. If you wish to make a pledge, you may write out a check and mail it to me. (PM for address) Please make all checks payable to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Or, you can visit my page on the National MS Society website and make a secure online donation. The address is: http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/Nick.Gwozdz - Please note that I must receive your pledge by September 20th!

I appreciate your support of this worthy cause. Thank you!

Sincerely,
Nicholas A Gwozdz
Nick
kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Re: Sponsor me & fight MS

Post by kuklaki »

I'll see what I can do, as with everyone things are tight right now. It's definately a worthy cause.

You had better bulk up with some super mega calorie shakes, though. 150 miles-good dog, man, you are going to shrink away to nothing.
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
vw_nick

Post by vw_nick »

I just thought I would throw it out there - definitely no pressure of any sort.

it's 75 each day, so it's not too bad I'll be slurping down lots of goo I Guess.
Nick
vw_nick

Post by vw_nick »

Just an update on my progress for the MS fund raiser. In case you had forgotten the details, the event will be held on October 4th and 5th and is a two day, 150 mile bike ride to raise money for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. To highlight what impact a donation can make, here’s a summary of what your donations will be providing:

- Inform and educate about a variety of issues through newsletters, publications, educational seminars, conferences, and at-home telephone programs.

- Provide support through self help groups, an on-going peer support telephone program, a care management program, and family and social programs.

- Stimulate changes in public policy by coordinating a statewide Government Relations Coalition and provide training and support to our constituents about issues impacting people with MS.

- Provide financial support for medical equipment, counseling services, fitness scholarships, respite care, transportation, and other emergency services.

I’ve been cycling regularly in preparation for the event. For a short time during training I was having some knee issues after riding for two hours or more. I took several weeks off with only a few light rides, and later made a few adjustments including changing out my saddle and handlebar stem and I’ve been able to rectify the problem. I’ve found I can go on longer rides without any discomfort which is great because I was not going to be able to participate if I couldn’t get it sorted out.

I’ve started to attend group training rides with other folks who are also getting ready to complete the MS ride. They are lead by a local bike shop owner who offers suggestions for technique before and during the rides. In addition to the group rides I’ve been riding on my own and have averaged 70-100 miles each week. This past weekend I’ve surpassed 1000 miles for the year, which was a personal goal I had set earlier this spring, but had not planned to meet it until late November. Choosing to participate in the MS ride has encouraged me to increase my riding frequency and duration and helped me meet the goal much earlier than I would have. Now I’m thinking 2000 miles is a real possibility for 2008.

So far, I’ve been able to raise 23% of my goal of $800 – My pre-ride registration date of September 20th is coming up quickly and I need your help to get the ball rolling if I am to reach my goal. I encourage those of you who were planning to contribute to my sponsorship to begin to do so. As more pledges are made, I will be able to gauge where I need to concentrate my campaigning efforts. Donations may be in the form of a check (make out to national ms society) or you may visit my fundraising page on the MS website to make a secure online donation, the address is: http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/Nick.Gwozdz

Once again, thank you for your support.

Nick Gwozdz
Nick