Low Oil Pressure Light Problem

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Cabby Geek
What year is your cabby?: 1990

Low Oil Pressure Light Problem

Post by Cabby Geek »

Ok, so here is my problem. I'm fairly new to Cabby's, but I have some what of a clue. I have an issue that once the car warms up, and I stop or come to idle, the oil light flashes. As soon as I step on the gas, it does go off. I am trying to follow the steps from "Cabby-Info.com" and replace the "low pressure oil switch" My problem is this, I can't find the switch. I might be an idiot, but if someone can help me it would be greatly appreciated. a picture or just letting me know the location would be great. I have a 1990 Cabby with a M/T. I know the oil temp and high pressure switch are on the oil filter flange, and there is another "can" type part on the head, but everything I have read, say this is just for the gauge.

Thanks for your help,
Shawn
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Low Oil Pressure Light Problem

Post by Briano1234 »

DOn't worry about the switch it is on the oil filter flange, should be the white one.

Change the oil to 20W50 and use a filter as

napa gold
wix
mobile one
bosch
mahl
mann
genuine VW.

As it is probably the filter that you are using that is the issue...if it is a Generic or a FRAM then they are crapola.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Cabby Geek
What year is your cabby?: 1990

Post by Cabby Geek »

Briano,

Thanks for the info. I just recently did an oil change,within 400 miles, and am using 20W50 and a Bosch filter.

But hopefully, changing the switch will solve my issue. I was sold a blue one, but the one that is currently on the car is white.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Cabby Geek wrote:Briano,

Thanks for the info. I just recently did an oil change,within 400 miles, and am using 20W50 and a Bosch filter.

But hopefully, changing the switch will solve my issue. I was sold a blue one, but the one that is currently on the car is white.
I think the blue one is the high pressure one..... and as my son has the cabby for a out and about, I think the blue one is wrong anyway.... it is a white or brown sensor.

I had a real flaky wire on mine, and it broke on a drive one day as i was cruising down the interstate at 80 mph.....scared the bejeezers out of me for about 30 seconds till I realized that I had 30 lbs of pressure.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

http://cabby-info.com/electrical_system.htm#sensors will show and tell you which sensor/switch is which. Hmm, now that I think about it, I should probably add part numbers for all of them too...

Both the "white" pressure switch on the filter flange and the big round pressure switch on the cylinder head activate the warning light. Considering the light is flashing only at idle speed(s), it's most likely the switch on the cylinder head that's acting up (and/or the related wiring).

:beer:
Hoppy
What year is your cabby?: 1986
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Hoppy »

I agree with brian about switching to a thicker oil, I had a '81 Rabbit SporTruck (PU) that the oil light would flicker or stay on at highway speed or idle and switching to a 20-50 oil fixed it.
John

1950 Beetle
1955 Beetle
1982 Westy
1986 Cabriolet (Best Seller)
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by gull »

The big "can" on the head is a dual sender -- it has a gauge sender and a switch in it.

I had two problems with my car:

- Sometimes the oil pressure light would flash briefly at highway speeds. Just one flash, which I'd catch out of the corner of my eye. Fixed by cleaning the connection to the switch on the oil pressure flange.

- When stuck in stop-and-go traffic in hot weather the light would start to flash. Fixed by switching to 20W50 oil. (I was running 10W30, which was just too thin.)

My engine has about 145,000 miles on it, so there's a fair bit of wear on the bottom end.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force