The past week in Car repair

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: The past week in Car repiar

Post by CalAltaDubber »

The closest I have gotten to car repair is the garage door opener.

The main drive shaft seized so when the motor turned the main drive gear (nylon) became very smoth.

I took one look and it was off to Sears for a new one :(

Then came the removal of the old and installation of the new. All well the temp is still -10 C (14 F).

That all could have waited a week. We are having Chinook conditions today, which means the temp will climb to + 8 C ( 46 F).

At least it wasn't -40 :lol:
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

So, yeah, I get to take the dash apart, again :roll: , 'cuz the speedo doesn't work (must not have reconnected it properly). And, the battery/alt light is taking longer and longer (rpm-wise) to go out: in the old days it went out at 1600rpm, now it's 2000rpm. It's truly a love-hate relationship.

Oh, and you don't even want to hear my garage door opener replacement story! :rmad: :lol: :rmad:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

I fear the day our openers crap out. I've been able to repair them when they both acted up once. Wasn't really much more then tearing them down, cleaning and relubing, so I got lucky.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
gull

Post by gull »

I did the in-tank fuel pump in my Cabriolet a few weeks ago. Had to hammer on the bung for a while with a drift to get it out -- I think it had never been removed, and the rubber seal had bonded to the steel tank. I also found that rubber fuel hose isn't too flexible at 50 degrees F. I got it all done, though, so hopefully this will cure my problems with hesitation and stalling in traffic. The inside of the tank looked pretty clean, just a handful of dirt flakes sitting on the bottom.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

In tank pumps are the easiest and cheapest to replace, so I hope that solves your issues. Running on the 3rd main pump in the wifes rocco in the last year. It's brand new (read freaking expensive) so I hope thats the end of the woe's.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

I thought that wow on WED, I didn't have to work on any cars this past week..... Then Thursday afternoon, I looked out and under the caravan to the rear of the engine was a green colored spot...
the radiator was low, and the inside smelled of anti freeze..... Heater core..

2 days taking the box out and getting a new one only to find that the old one wasn't leaking.
It was an external control valve that shuttle water between the front and rear heaters, it was split on the metal crimp, so that under pressure the fine mist was going right in to the a/c fresh air inlet.......
ARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Shit....

Looking at the valve from the outside it looked fine there was no leaky lines, or residue.... when I went to remove it
as I was holding it in my hand to take the spring clamps of it literally fell apart in my hands.

Heater core 30 bucks
Valve 3 bucks at Pull-a-Part.... and gee, if I would of looked earlier, I would of seen quite a few that had been removed......dohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So tomorrow I get to finish putting in the lower dash, and recharging the a/c.....

The hi-point is that the new heater core was almost twice as wide as the old one, so there be plenty of heat outta that sucker.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Now that the deep freeze has pretty well ended up here. (temps hovering around the freezing mark) I want to get back to work in the garage.

The project bunny is getting lonley and I want to get the body and paint done soon.

I just have to find the right time to evict the Jetta from the garage :D
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
gull

Post by gull »

I had today off and had to do a little work on my non-VW car. The Crown Vic got some bad gas at AARCO...at least, I think that's what it was. Filled up Friday morning, and by that evening it was bucking and misfiring. I managed to burn off about a quarter of the tank over the weekend, then today I dumped in half a bottle of Seafoam and topped off the tank with gas from a different station. The rest of the Seafoam went into the engine through the PCV hose. Took it out and flogged it for a bit (mosquito-fogging the neighborhood in the process) and it's now running much better.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

gull wrote:I had today off and had to do a little work on my non-VW car. The Crown Vic got some bad gas at AARCO...at least, I think that's what it was. Filled up Friday morning, and by that evening it was bucking and misfiring. I managed to burn off about a quarter of the tank over the weekend, then today I dumped in half a bottle of Seafoam and topped off the tank with gas from a different station. The rest of the Seafoam went into the engine through the PCV hose. Took it out and flogged it for a bit (mosquito-fogging the neighborhood in the process) and it's now running much better.
SeaFoam is so magical isn't it.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
gull

Post by gull »

Briano1234 wrote:SeaFoam is so magical isn't it.
This time it sure was. But even when it doesn't work the smoke show is fun. ;)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

gull wrote:
Briano1234 wrote:SeaFoam is so magical isn't it.
This time it sure was. But even when it doesn't work the smoke show is fun. ;)
Running it during the summer lowers the bug level in the neighborhood :)
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Started degreasing the engine bay of the rocco. Pure un-cut purple power sprayed on then topped of with some Gunk Engine Degreaser Gel. Let sit for 30min, then hose off. More came off then I expected, but now I realize just how much damn scrubbing I'm going to have to do :banghead:

On a positive note, I should have my 2500psi pressure washer back today, so that should definitly add to the crud cutting power :twisted:

Also, Seafoam is great. Local Advanced Autoparts now carried 1gal containers. Imagine all the fun you can have with a gallon of that stuff. :eek:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

So, I was cleaning up the garage last night (actually, 1am this morning) and found recent, but not wet, coolant spots underneath the Cab. Took a closer look: lower rad hose connections are leaking worse than ever. :roll: :banghead: And, the lovely new-ish oil pan gasket is leaking too! :x
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Put two new tires on the van, and the wobble on the front went away.....flocking cheap assed goodyear tires.....took them back 7 times to be re-balanced, there is nothing wrong.... well the bad wheel bearings that I thought I had disappeared. And the out of alignment went away too, go figure...................cheap assed goodyear piece of crap tires..........

I ordered the paint for the rabbit, and a few other goodies..it is getting that time of year.... sooooooooooo I will be getting it ready for BAP.......
Briano

CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Well yesterday was my day off work, so I decided to get the garage ready for the summer. We also had a Chinook so the temp was well above freezing so it made a nice day.

First on the agenda was to move the Topless Bunny outsid, so I brought the battery out of the basement and uncovered the car. It started with the first turn of the key!

Other than being dusty it seems like it wants to hit the streets. :D

Today I plan to go and look at the project car and see if I can remember what needs to be done next.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image