Fan Switch

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

triplewhite
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Fan Switch

Post by triplewhite »

Hi, I just replaced my radiator, and noticed that the fan switch had been shorting out and has melted itself and the block connector. I'm going to order a new one from GermanAutoParts.com, but there are a couple of different types... My car is an 87 with A/C, although it does not work, and I am slowly removing much of the now unnecessary parts. GAP has listed that cars with A/C had a three pin switch, but mine is only two pin, and there are only two wires running to the block connector. I assume then that I should just buy the two pin non-A/C switch?

The block connector is totally melted, is the anywhere to get another one of these, or should I just cut the wires and replace with shielded spade connectors?

Thanks all.
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Re: Fan Switch

Post by CalAltaDubber »

OK a couple of things here.

First you mentioned that your switch is onlt a two conductor switch.

The difference is that A/C cars had a two speed cooling fan installed whereas non A/C cars only have a single speed fan.

The two are interchangable. I have a three pin switch and fan (two speed version) installed on my '88 project car which does not have A/C while my '87 (also not A/C) has the two pin (single speed) version.

Before you order a new one, remove the connector from the rear of the fan. If it has two pins (or conductors) you need to order the non A/C switch. Likewise if the fan has three pins, you need the switch for A/C cars.

I suspect the fan has been replaced sometime over the years and was replaced with one for a non A/C car.

You mentioned something about the connector being all melted. In this case it might be worth your while to head to the nearest Pick "N Pull. Find a MK I Rabbit, Jetta or (if you are lucky) Cabby. Take the fan, shroud, wiring harness, and switch.

The wiring harness should have a two conductor connector (12 V from the fuse {red I think} and Ground {Brown}) somewhere near the driver's side headlight. It is the same for either A/C or non A/C cars and will plug into your car.

This way you will have a fan, switch and harness that are all the same. Either switch will mount into the radiator the same way so you will know right away that you have a compatable setup.

Hope this helps.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
triplewhite

Re: Fan Switch

Post by triplewhite »