control pressure regulator???

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

reycycle
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

control pressure regulator???

Post by reycycle »

how important is it to the operation of the car. where do i find one if it goes bad. the bently says if it isnt reading 20-26 ohms across the terminal then its bad. mine is reading 12.4 and falling. i got spark at the coil, at the plugs. i got gas to the fuel distributor. when the car was running briefly and got warm will the heat make the CPR fault out. i guess what im asking is if you disconnect the CPR while the car is running will the car shut off? or with the CPR disconnected will the car start?
A person who could give two shits cares more than a person who dosent give a shit!!!
SoCal_Cabby
Postus-Whorus-Maximus
What year is your cabby?: 0

Re: control pressure regulator???

Post by SoCal_Cabby »

tolusina

Post by tolusina »

20-26Ω or 12.4Ω doesn't make a whole lot of difference, all that reading is is a measurement of the resistance of the heater coil, 12.4Ω is just fine.
If the heater coil was shorted and showing zero resistance, the fuel pump fuse would blow.
If the heater coil went open circuit, fuel mixture would stay rich longer, but it would still warm up from engine heat, just a bit slower.

To properly test the control pressure regulator, you'll need a CIS specific fuel pressure testing gauge set. It's the cold and warm control pressures that matter, not the resistance of the heater coil.

Here's a link to J.C. Whitney's CIS set.....
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Prod ... 10/c-10101
The 'Standard" set listed on that page will not work. The CIS set should not be as pictured, the CIS set better be as described, especially including the shut off valve, that's essential for measuring system pressure.
$60.00 and you'll become a local CIS guru, no more guessing and throwing hard to find and expensive parts at it.
Oops, you'll also need a good DVOM and the capability to measure dwell and/or duty cycle, then you're on the way to CIS Guru status. ;)

That CIS set described should work on almost all regular EFI cars as well as CIS, it doesn't have to be considered a Cabby specific purchase at all.
tolusina

Post by tolusina »

reycycle wrote:... i guess what im asking is if you disconnect the CPR while the car is running will the car shut off? or with the CPR disconnected will the car start?

Sorry, I missed the real questions.
Answers are;
no, the car will not shut off if you disconnect the CPR while running;
yes, the car should start with the electrical connection to the CPR unplugged, the fuel mixture will just warm up slower.
tolusina

Post by tolusina »

reycycle wrote:how important is it to the operation of the car....

Maybe this 3rd post will charm.

The CPR is pretty much essential.

About the worst that can happen to it is getting plugged. Should it plug, it will no longer be able to meter and bleed system pressure from the top of the metering piston in the center of the fuel distributor.
Instead of the 20 or 30 PSI cold control pressure, 50 or so warm control pressure (values approximate, approximately from an approximate memory, actual Bentley values will be more concise), control pressure will be continuously the same as system pressure (approximately 72-74 psi), the car will run very, very lean, if it runs at all.

With the J. C. Whitney gauge set linked above, you can (and will) demonstrate the effect of a plugged CPR as and when system pressure is measured since the system pressure test blocks off the line to the CPR. Engines most always stall out during the system pressure test, situation normal.
---
I'll attempt to anticipate your next question, 'How can I tell if my CRP is plugged?'.
Obviously, I want to point you to a pressure gauge, there's another possibility that's sometimes real obvious.
Unscrew the two banjo bolt fittings, peek inside for a plugged screen. Clean it best possible, check those banjo bolts very closely for fuel leakage after re-assembly. Replace the copper gaskets if needed, aluminum works fine too. Over-tightening rarely stops a leak, that just breaks things.
If you do find a plugged screen, what is it plugged with, where did it come from, is there more waiting to plug it again and plug up other system components too?
---
In the pic below, that screen should have been removed at the first service when the car was new. 'Should have been removed' and 'Was removed" are two different things.
If yours does not have the disc shape on the banjo bolt head as described but has a flat head, the screen is gone.
If it does have the disc shape, the screen may have been removed, you'll have to open it up and look. If the screen is still there, pry it out with a screwdriver, re-install the disc head fitting, you do not have to order up the part number listed. You DO have to check very closely for leaks afterward.

reycycle

Post by reycycle »

so let me give you the history of todays cabby fun. my neighbor is an auto mechanic. he was curiouse to know why i havent got the little white car running yet. we went thruogh and checked this and that. cheched the coil for spark checked the plugs for spark. then car started. wes running he said it sounded real strong and good for a 20 year old car. he was leaning toward the coil or cap and rotor as a reason it wasnt starting well. then i noticed that a plug wire was chafed almost to the metal. he grabbed one of the braided fuel lines going to the CPR and wiggled it and said " this is what it is chafing on." 15 seconds later the car stalled and wouldnt start. still had spark and had fuel to the distributor, but not sure if it was getting to the injectors. could the fuel line going to and from the CPR be plugged with crud. and would that cause the stalling and not restarting problem. should i disconnect all the fuel lines from the distributor and blow them out? i dont know how long this car sat with old gas and not running. it was owned by old people who towed it behind thier RV.
A person who could give two shits cares more than a person who dosent give a shit!!!
tolusina

Post by tolusina »

reycycle wrote:...he was leaning toward the coil or cap and rotor as a reason it wasnt starting well. then i noticed that a plug wire was chafed almost to the metal. he grabbed one of the braided fuel lines going to the CPR and wiggled it and said " this is what it is chafing on." .....
Um, there's a pretty solid clue that plug wires are badly needed.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

On my green car I broke a wire, no worries, I went to my spare car and took the wires off, and when the coil wire was so brittle that it snapped in to in my hand.... I sucked it up and bought another complete wire set....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: