Transmission mount

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

87Wolfsburg
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Transmission mount

Post by 87Wolfsburg »

I changed the transmission mount today, as part of my one hour weekend project, ended up being two including cleaning up all the greasy mud that falls into the garage floor. The old mount was already severed, about 6 inches away from each other. This caused horrible vibration on drive w/ the brakes engaged, and during reverse. At Park some vibrations too. Since this cabby is automatic it was able to run, I used to own a 1985 w/ 5 speed and it would not shift if the tranny mount was broken, including taking other stuff with it.
Anyway the learning curve today, was how much jacking up the engine you would need to align the mount. So now the car is real smooth now, no more vibration, next time I would be 200% faster doing this job.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

They are a pain, but not like the Passenger side mount.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
87Wolfsburg
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by 87Wolfsburg »

Briano1234 wrote:They are a pain, but not like the Passenger side mount.
Hi Briano

It's been great reading all your past repairs, I learn a lot from those. Anyway I got the how to for this from vintage watercooled A1 mounts.
It said it was super easy, actually easy is the correct term. Car now runs great, next motor mount would be the driver side, next year. I already have the mount and I would again use the same instructions from vintage water cooled. Since the repairs were successful , my wife would not mine my average parts purchase of $200 / month. Fortunately my 06 F150 and my wife's 04 Honda Pilot do not need any new parts replacements at all.

Ozzie
kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by kuklaki »

The progress is really coming along nicely. Keep the pics and stories coming...it may get me motivated to finish what I need to do on Crabby Cabby. This year has been an absolute bust because of the expenses of the kid going to college.
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)