Auto transmission Fluid change

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

87Wolfsburg
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Auto transmission Fluid change

Post by 87Wolfsburg »

It has been just about a month since I got the Wolfsburg, New O2 sensor, New Catalyst, Oil change , etc. The car had this leak in its Transmission pan area, so I decided to change the Tranny Fluid and put a new gasket I source from German Parts. As the Bentley said , 4 bolts hold the pan. That is so few, no wonder this thing is prone to leaks. So now I only have a small leak after driving the car around. The previous owner over tightened the pan, so I guess I would need a new pan , if I want the leak to go away. The ATF was clean, I guess if they added probably a couple of quarts a month it should be clean. The good news is that the tranny works good.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

as it is leaking then it can't build the pressures for proper shifting... and that is a possibility.

But to change the oil out completely you have to suck out all you can from the tranny fill hole... run for a mile.
Then suck and refill a couple of more times and the fluids will be totally changed.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
87Wolfsburg
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by 87Wolfsburg »

Briano1234 wrote:as it is leaking then it can't build the pressures for proper shifting... and that is a possibility.

But to change the oil out completely you have to suck out all you can from the tranny fill hole... run for a mile.
Then suck and refill a couple of more times and the fluids will be totally changed.
I got a very slow leak now, since I put a new pan gasket, always shifted fine. Also in front of the pan is a skid plate , that blocks one of the pan bolts, I remove the 3 bolts holding the skid plate, but could not, did not have to completely remove to access the last pan bolt. If not for that I would try to reseal the pan again, As I said its not a daily driver, and the leak is only on one area, you can catch the drip in a cup. I guess my 100 miles a month , would only drip a quart.