Vacuum hoses

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

87Wolfsburg
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Vacuum hoses

Post by 87Wolfsburg »

Where can I buy those vac. hoses for a cabriolet, its those stiff ones , not the flexible ones you can buy in any auto convenience store. I remember I was able to buy them in any VW dealer back in the 90's.. Do they still sell them in any VW parts counters?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Go to a good hardware store, you can get rigid waterline for Ice Makers, or you can run by a wrecking yard and aquire new to you.... If they are broken you can replace them with good old rubber vacuum line.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

Dealers do indeed still carry the stuff, but it's ungodly expensive. AutoZone and the like sells 3' sections (tightly coiled :evil: ) for about $5.
87Wolfsburg

Post by 87Wolfsburg »

Briano1234 wrote:Go to a good hardware store, you can get rigid waterline for Ice Makers, or you can run by a wrecking yard and aquire new to you.... If they are broken you can replace them with good old rubber vacuum line.
Those rigid vacuum hoses are pretty small in diameter, I guess conversion to flexible is also an option. Been to auto yesterday, I should have checked some more. I think I should visit my local VW Parts counter, should be fun and expensive
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

I usually pull that sort of stuff off wrecks at my local Pick 'N Pull. They don't even charge for it.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
87Wolfsburg

Post by 87Wolfsburg »

CalAltaDubber wrote:I usually pull that sort of stuff off wrecks at my local Pick 'N Pull. They don't even charge for it.
I don't see a lot of A1 & A2's running here in LA, California, that means they must be in some junk yard. , but where?
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Now that you mention it, the MK 1s are becomming more scarce.

On my last trip to P 'N P, I only saw one Cabby. Usually there are several Rabbits and one or two MK I Jettas.

The MK II Jettas and Golfs still seem to be plentiful.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
87Wolfsburg

Post by 87Wolfsburg »

CalAltaDubber wrote:Now that you mention it, the MK 1s are becomming more scarce.

On my last trip to P 'N P, I only saw one Cabby. Usually there are several Rabbits and one or two MK I Jettas.

The MK II Jettas and Golfs still seem to be plentiful.
Having used a 85 Cabby as a daily driver in the late 90's, I experience the high maintenance required for these 15 years or older cars. My 87 Wolfburg , I only use it as a weekend fun car of trips of less than 10 miles.
This way wear and tear is minimized. Good news about the vacuum tubes, plenty of choices at Pepboys.