Replacing catalytic converter

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

87Wolfsburg
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Replacing catalytic converter

Post by 87Wolfsburg »

I am having the catalyst replaced on my 87 Cabriolet this week. Anybody had their catalyst replaced recently? Did they use the bolt on OEM catalyst or did they go with the Universal catalyst welded on. Also I plan to have either just the muffler replaced or have a custom cat back muffler bent and welded too, depends on the cost?

Thanks
Ozzie
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Well it wasn't reciently, but since my '87 was a European Delivery, it was initially delivered with out one.

I had to have it installed prior to shipping the car to Canada.

It is an OEM one and from what I gather was bolted on.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Replacing catalytic converter

Post by Briano1234 »

87Wolfsburg wrote:I am having the catalyst replaced on my 87 Cabriolet this week. Anybody had their catalyst replaced recently? Did they use the bolt on OEM catalyst or did they go with the Universal catalyst welded on. Also I plan to have either just the muffler replaced or have a custom cat back muffler bent and welded too, depends on the cost?

Thanks
Ozzie
I have had 4 replaced..... all were welded on and not OEM style.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
87Wolfsburg

Re: Replacing catalytic converter

Post by 87Wolfsburg »

Briano1234 wrote:
87Wolfsburg wrote:I am having the catalyst replaced on my 87 Cabriolet this week. Anybody had their catalyst replaced recently? Did they use the bolt on OEM catalyst or did they go with the Universal catalyst welded on. Also I plan to have either just the muffler replaced or have a custom cat back muffler bent and welded too, depends on the cost?

Thanks
Ozzie
I have had 4 replaced..... all were welded on and not OEM style.
Thanks Man, I was going out to pick up my Kragen's, Universal Maremont catalyst for the cabby, I found a nice local muffler shop, who would do it , either way, he just wanted to see the Universal cat first. Your past experience with replacing them, is just what I was looking for.

Thanks
Ozzie
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

Mine is OEM-quality, but the shop welded it in anyway :roll: . They took the easy way out: cut the old cat out so they wouldn't have to deal with seized bolts, which meant cutting off the new cat's mounting "brackets" and welding it in. :roll: :x
87Wolfsburg

Universal and OEM Catalytic converter

Post by 87Wolfsburg »

the nuts and bolts all look, rusted and fused together, the shop was going to charge more for the OEM labor. Anyway the universal CAT, is the part for a CIS type Cabby, looks same as OEM, except, no provision for bolt on installation. It only cost $80 versus $136 for an OEM type, plus $3 each for gaskets. Hope to have it installed either tomorow or this Saturday. German Auto Parts has the OEM kit for I think $180?
montmil

Post by montmil »

A new catback system should do much to improve performance of your '87 cabriolet. At least this has become the most economical "trick" to bump power on American V8 iron. Try to avoid the "fart pipe" sound emitting from so many of our local rice burners. K.Mart plastic hubcaps and a noisy pipe do not a racer make. :rolleyes:
87Wolfsburg

Welded Universal Cabriolet CAT

Post by 87Wolfsburg »

I just got back from the Muffler shop an hour ago. It took the shop close to an hour to unbolt the old shielding, saw off the old catalyst (It was all loose and rattling, but seemed intact). The new catalyst was carefully welded in with all the fancy welders techniques etc. and it cost me $70 for labor, it is expensive here in Southern Calfornia. The Kragen sourced CAT cost $80, so all in all I got a new CAT for about $160 installed including taxes. No more irritating rattling sound, which is so common with our vintage water cooled VW's. Next project to find a good VW shop and have the timing belt replaced and the valves ajdusted within the next 6 months.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

The timing belt is actually fairly easy to replace yourself and since you have an 87, that should by a hydro head, which means the valves do not need to be adjusted as they have hydo lifters.

Now if you are getting some valve noise, the lifters could be a bit gummy. Maybe a nice engine flush would help or best of all new lifters.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

Repeat after me y'all: Solid lifters up through '87; hydro lifters from '88 onward. :wink:

As long you're doing the timing belt, and if it hasn't been changed in forever, change the passenger side motor mount too.
87Wolfsburg

Post by 87Wolfsburg »

kamzcab86 wrote:Repeat after me y'all: Solid lifters up through '87; hydro lifters from '88 onward. :wink:

As long you're doing the timing belt, and if it hasn't been changed in forever, change the passenger side motor mount too.
Passenger side motor mount, excellent idea. I think I need a break from repairs for now. Its like a compulsive behavior in which you just won't be satisfied , one repair leads to another. Thank goodness this is not my daily driver.
87Wolfsburg

Improvement also

Post by 87Wolfsburg »

I forgot to add this, besides all the rattling sound now gone, I did notice improved acceleration in the mid - range rpm 2k to 3K, this car being automatic transmission, sort of where all the action is. That was something I forgot , where there was going to be an improvement. The muffler shop guy said the old catalyst was hindering exhaust flow. I think I'll do something easy this weekend, probably change a pair of headlamps.