So many questions! Instrument Cluster this time

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

85Cabriolet

So many questions! Instrument Cluster this time

Post by 85Cabriolet »

Well the lights don't work for my instrument cluster so I pulled the thing out and removed the three bulbs. But the bulbs themselves are sort of connected to a metal retainer that snaps it into the plastic holder and that snaps into the cluster itself. Is it possible to get bulbs with this metal retainer?

Also unfortuneately I dropped the tach and that bent the fuel gauge needle, and I don't have that much patience so I figure I might as well just replace the entire cluster. Is the odometer easy to change?
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by CalAltaDubber »

The bulbs come with the retainer. Unfortunatly,they are a VW part and cost a couple of bucks apice at your local VW dealer.

There was a complete cluster at Pick "N Pull last time I was there. You might be lucky and find one there.

The Gauges shouldn't be too hard to swap out. It's pretty well described in the Bently. (call me if you haven't got one yet.)
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
85Cabriolet

Post by 85Cabriolet »

I'm actually thinking about swapping over the entire instrument cluster from a MKI, depends on what I can find at Pick n Pull. Do you know what clusters are direct fit? MKI Golf and Jetta I assume, but what about a Fox cluster?

I found a how-to on how to change the odometer as well 8)

Oh and my Bently should be here late this week!
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by CalAltaDubber »

It comes down to fit, form and function.

MK I Jetta has the same dash as the cabby, so it should fit. The question will be the electrical connection. Not impossable, but homework would need to be done.

I do have a spare cluster, with the fuel gauge. I was planning to use it on the project bunny. maybe we can just "rob" the fuel gauge.

Then again, since you have it all torn apart, why not try something radical.

Let me see if I can find something to show you.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image