lot of leaking oil!

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Caddycabby
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

lot of leaking oil!

Post by Caddycabby »

Where is a popular place for oil to leak that is not the oil pan or any where visible. all I can see are the drips at the bootom of the motor. could it be somewhere behind the the timing belt and pulleys? I almost want you to tell me it will be expensive to fix so I can through this motor off a bridge and buy a turbo 1.8. :D :? :x
No chowder for you, cause clams have feelings too.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: lot of leaking oil!

Post by Briano1234 »

Caddycabby wrote:Where is a popular place for oil to leak that is not the oil pan or any where visible. all I can see are the drips at the bootom of the motor. could it be somewhere behind the the timing belt and pulleys? I almost want you to tell me it will be expensive to fix so I can through this motor off a bridge and buy a turbo 1.8. :D :? :x
Valve cover gaskets, oilpan gaskets, front or rear engine seals, oil filter, oil cooler.

lastly bad head gasket.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Caddycabby

Post by Caddycabby »

its not the oil pan, the valve cover or the oil filter. what does it take to do an engine seal and is there some kind of crap I can throw in there to slow down the leak? also I think it was caused by me overfilling with oil if that helps.
No chowder for you, cause clams have feelings too.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Caddycabby wrote:its not the oil pan, the valve cover or the oil filter. what does it take to do an engine seal and is there some kind of crap I can throw in there to slow down the leak? also I think it was caused by me overfilling with oil if that helps.
Front seal, is easy? Remove all the belts (timing too) remove the crank belt/pully, remove the timing belt cover, remove timing pully, drop the oil pan (20 bolts) and then the front seal holder can be removed to replace the seal.

The rear seal is the 20 oil pan bolts, then remove the tranny, remove the clutch disk and pressure plate, then you can remove the rear seal housing and replace it too.

If you over filled it then it is either the front or rear seal... But if the valve cover leaks it can appear to be a front seal, the best way is to get the car in the air and look for it. if it leaks on passenger side it is most likely the front engine seal, if the leak is to the tranny side then it is the rear engine seal.....

Look for it. One way to stop a leak is to run a non detergent oil or one of those engine oil additives that stop leaks.. but that is really a placebo..... Find it Fix it End it, is the resolution....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
tolusina

leaks....

Post by tolusina »

There are four "front" (actually on the right side) seals, cam, crank and 2 for the intermediate shaft. Three of the 4 are identical, the 4th is a Viton o-ring behind the intermediate shaft seal holder which is also the intermediate shaft thrust bearing holder.
If you are OK changing a timing belt, changing the seals is just a matter of 3 more pulleys to remove, seals are behind the pulleys. The oil pan does not have to be removed for any of the shaft seals' replacement.
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

IMHO the first step should be giving the engine bay a good cleaning, so you can see where the leak is actually coming from. There's also a dye you can buy at auto parts stores that you can put in the oil. It will glow under blacklight, helping you trace the leak.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
montmil

Post by montmil »

One little gasket may be causing the leaky drips. . . There's a little paper gasket on the oil filter mount between it and the oil cooler. Oil cooler? Who knew my '86 WE had an oil cooler. Not me. That is, until it failed. Pretty easy fix and economical, too. As offered earlier clean the engine and see if that's where the dino-oil is coming out. These things can be maddening. :?