Shift linkage adjustment

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

triplewhite
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Shift linkage adjustment

Post by triplewhite »

Today I finally got my new transmission in (not new, but you know what I mean) and it drives! During the process, I replaced all the shift linkage bushes etc, and added a short shift kit, which was essentially a short extension to the shift lever on the transmission itself.

Problem is, I can't seem to get 1st gear. I was having problems "finding" 1st with the old tranny, but when I took it out, there were no bushes left in the linkage, so I assumed changing them would solve the problem. It doesn't seem to have though. What should I adjust to allow me to find 1st? I get Reverse, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th ok.

Thanks!! So excited to be cruising with the (new!) top down again real soon!
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

You have to adjust the main rod off the shifter handle, there is a writeup on it in the Bentley. Or you got the wrong kit...
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
triplewhite

Post by triplewhite »

Sorry, do you mean the rod connected to the gearstick, ie. getting underneath unbolting and moving the splines etc. or do you mean one of the ball and socket rods on the tranny?

Thanks for the swift reply. Don't suppose the Bentley stuff is available online...?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

triplewhite wrote:Sorry, do you mean the rod connected to the gearstick, ie. getting underneath unbolting and moving the splines etc. or do you mean one of the ball and socket rods on the tranny?

Yes............

Also a bad tranny mount/all the motor mounts can cause it, butif you gota set oof links for a 4 speed versus a 5 speed you will have similar issues.

Thanks for the swift reply. Don't suppose the Bentley stuff is available online...?
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
triplewhite

Post by triplewhite »

Ok, thanks Briano. New mounts all round, so that should be good. Also, started the engine with the mounts a little loose so they could settle, and then tightened them up. I got the linkage kit from germanautoparts, so I'm pretty sure it's the right one for a 5-speed. I'll get in there again today and take another look at it. I'll take the short shift off and see if that makes a difference first, although after researching off site after your first suggestion I think it may well be the assembly under the gear stick itself. An old saying when I worked in a garage was "it feels a little bit like stirring soup!" That's kind of what mine feels like.

Thanks again for the swift reply, I may be back later today...
triplewhite

Post by triplewhite »

Hi, sorry to double post so quickly, I've found a new "shift lever pivot assembly" locally which I'm just about to go and pick up... is this what I'm looking for? I wanted the shift rod bearing assembly too, but they didn't have one. I guess I'll just give this a go and see what happens.

[edit] Ok, rather than re-post, I'll just edit....

Installed the pivot assembly, and that hasn't fixed the first gear problem. So I've ordered the shift rod bearing assembly as my one was knackered. I think that should do it.

Whilst under the car doing that, I noticed my transmission appears to be dripping oil from one of the drive shaft flanges. Any ideas why??

Will I ever get this car back on the road?!
bLac K aBriOleT89
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by bLac K aBriOleT89 »

triplewhite wrote: I've ordered the shift rod bearing assembly as my one was knackered. I think that should do it.
Yes. That will fix it.
Too bad I didn''t see this thread before or I would've told you. I have an online source that sell the bushing only for $20, so u don't have to order a $65 part. but that should do it. You'll need to adjust the rod gap at the bottom of the shifter when finished, oh and put some grease to the bushing.
1989 Graphite Black Metallic Cabriolet

2005 BMW X3 3.0i - Sapphire Black Metallic

2002 BMW M3 - Steel Gray-Coupe, 6 sp
triplewhite

Post by triplewhite »

bLac K aBriOleT89 wrote:Too bad I didn''t see this thread before or I would've told you. I have an online source that sell the bushing only for $20, so u don't have to order a $65 part. but that should do it. You'll need to adjust the rod gap at the bottom of the shifter when finished, oh and put some grease to the bushing.
Ah well, them's the breaks... hopefully it'll get here soon, and I'll be back on the road. Thank you though!

So by adjusting the rod gap, do I have to remove the rubber boot at the bottom underneath? I'll figure out I guess.

Thanks again!
bLac K aBriOleT89
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by bLac K aBriOleT89 »

triplewhite wrote:
bLac K aBriOleT89 wrote:Too bad I didn''t see this thread before or I would've told you. I have an online source that sell the bushing only for $20, so u don't have to order a $65 part. but that should do it. You'll need to adjust the rod gap at the bottom of the shifter when finished, oh and put some grease to the bushing.
Ah well, them's the breaks... hopefully it'll get here soon, and I'll be back on the road. Thank you though!

So by adjusting the rod gap, do I have to remove the rubber boot at the bottom underneath? I'll figure out I guess.

Thanks again!
Yes, you need to remove that boot. It's a very grease job, but what I did was remove all the old grease and grease everything up afterwards. Adjust the gap to spec, I don't remember the number now, but some people use a cassette tape since appear to be the same width.
1989 Graphite Black Metallic Cabriolet

2005 BMW X3 3.0i - Sapphire Black Metallic

2002 BMW M3 - Steel Gray-Coupe, 6 sp
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

The case off a cassette... not a cassette tape, the case it comes in.
Briano

triplewhite

Post by triplewhite »

Great, thanks guys... just waiting for my shift rod bush, and then I'll be right at that!

How does that gap get out of adjustment then?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Age, wear and tear, broken motor mounts, because you want to drive it and today is Tuesday................
Briano

triplewhite

Post by triplewhite »

Gotchya! Thanks again.
triplewhite

Post by triplewhite »

Fixed!

Shifts beautifully, as if just from the show room.

Going to start a new topic about the other things that are wrong now though

:cry:
reycycle

Re: Shift linkage adjustment

Post by reycycle »

so what was it just the bearing or the adjustment with the cassett case? because im having the same prob.
A person who could give two shits cares more than a person who dosent give a shit!!!