WOW HEAT

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Old Screaming Eagle
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

WOW HEAT

Post by Old Screaming Eagle »

Well after years of driving air cool VW's and no heat, I drove my Cabby to my monthly VW meeting last night and what a delight to have had heat. As a matter of fact, I had to turn the fan back to 0 as it got plum toastie inside. Think I'm going to like this little water cooled babe.

One question for someone. Last night is only about the third time I've driven "The Bald Headed Bunny" (that is what I've named it) and the temp. gauge was working but last night the needle never moved. Stayed all the way to the left the whole time and I drove 10 or 12 miles. I know it heated up due to the heat working correctly. Are the temp. gauges known to act up and sometime work and sometime not???

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old Screaming Eagle
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

The gauges are flakier than Hillary Clinton.

take the sending unit connector off and then short the two pins together or ground the power side.

remove the insturment cluster and check the continuity of pin 2 and 4 on the big white connector should be 0 ohms....

Now that you have your cluster out, then take and appy 9 volts to the gauge screws the middle one is for the led so you are looking at the left and the right the needle should deflect to about 3/4 scale. if not, then reverse the leads. If there isn't any needle movement then you have a bad gauge.

if the continuity is okay on the wireing, then it could be your sender that is bad if the needle deflects...... I have had to replace 3 of the gauges in 3 of my cabbies. I found that the 90 jettas gauge will fit with modification to the sheet tin at the top and sides, and will deflect a bit off as to the old cabby gauges but a workign gauge is better than a dead one.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Old Screaming Eagle

Hey Brian, thanks for the information. Drove the car yesterday and the gauge worked. Don't think I will attempt the remove the cluster, pretty big job for me. Anyway, maybe it will continue to register.

Thanks for your help.

Old Screaming Eagle
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

I think when VW made the early watercooled models they were trying to make up for all the people who froze to death in aircooled Buses and Beetles. Car & Driver once referred to the Cabriolet as having a heater "powerful enough to roast knockwurst" and that's not far off. :D
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Old Screaming Eagle

Hey Gull, I noticed a quote at the end of your message by Bob Hoover. Is that the Bob Hoover who is a pilot and does amazing things with an Aero-Commander? The Bob Hoover I know of is an excellent pilot who does a lot of air shows. Just wondering if it was the same person.
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

Nope, this is a different Bob Hoover who is (was?) a VW mechanic, philosopher, and all-around curmudgeon on a couple of VW mailing lists and newsgroups.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force