Help Wanted

Now that you have modded the hell outta your ride, you have to find a way to get your car to stick to the ground. Talk about the different types of tires used here.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Old Screaming Eagle
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Help Wanted

Post by Old Screaming Eagle »

Hello to everyone. I'm new on this site and new as a water cool VW owner. I'm from the old school and have 9 air cools. This is my first water cool and I think I'm going to enjoy it.

I have to couple of questions I hope someone can shed some light on for me. I just purchased a 1992 Cabriolet and it has the Silverstone wheels. My question, what type of tool do I need to remove the center cap? I tried my Allen wrenches today, both standard and metric with no luck.

Also, the hand brake doesn't work but I don't think that the cables are broken. Does the hand brake on a Cabriolet work the same as on an old beetle? In other words can you just take the pivot pin out and reconnect the ratchet mechanism for the button and bingo you're back in business?

Thanks for any help that anyone can give.

The Old Eagle
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Hello Eagle, and welcome to TRF.

First I think you will find that water cooled cars are as good as air cooled.

I'm not sure which wheels you have on your car, but if they are OEM, our resident Cabby expert (Kami) will have an answer for you.

The parking brake is pretty simple. it is two cables that run from the brake lever to the rear wheels that apply the brakes. Probably similar to an ac. The two cables are linked under the brake handle by a bracket with one nut attaching each cable.

It's kinda hard to explain, but you will see that it is actually very simple.

One thing you will hear from the water cooled crowd when it comes to repairing your car is "The Bently Manual is the best thing available". Although they can be a little pricy, they are worth the money.

Hope this helps and that we hear more from you.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Old Screaming Eagle

Thanks

Hello Phil and thanks for the welcome. Yea, I plan on buying a Bentley Manual as soon as possible. I've already planned on that.

Again, thanks for your reply and I hope to hear from Kami.

The Old Eagle
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

They take the 8mm tri-square wrench

same tool for the inner cv joints
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Old Screaming Eagle

Thanks

Thank you Briano, I really appreciate the information.

The Old Eagle
Old Screaming Eagle

Thanks

Thank you Briano, I really appreciate the information.

The Old Eagle
Old Screaming Eagle

One more question please. Where on a 92 will I find the Color Code? The car is green but don't know if it is Classic Green Pearl, Green Pearl Metallic or some other green. Thanks in advance for any help.

The Old Eagle
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Should be a sticker in the trunk that has the paint code.
Also could try unwinding your vin at http://www.cabbyinfo.com that may also tell you or call VWOA and have them look it up from your vin... you can also see the uncrated date of your car Its Birthday.

And on the passengers side inner fender infront of hte strut is a yellow or orange stiker with the code on it too.

See it in the lower left corner of the pic

Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

If you contact VW Customer Service, with the VIN from the car, they will be able to tell you the paint code for the colour the car was painted when new.

They will also be able to inform you if there have been any recalls and which ones have been serviced by VW.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by kuklaki »

And since the guys have you about covered here the only thing that is left is....

Welcome to TRF!!

Oh, and pics? Of all the crew, of course. I'd love to see some of the aircooled kids, too!
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

If your '92 is a Wolfsburg Edition, it's Classic Green Pearl Metallic. If it's not a Wolfsburg Edition, it's Green Pearl Metallic.

As for the wheels, I'm told there should be a tool in the trunk where the jack is for removing the Silverstone ("teardrop") center caps.

And, yes, pics please!! :mrgreen:
Old Screaming Eagle

Thank everyone so much for the fast replies on my questions, they sure are helpful. I'm lucky to have found this site.

Yes my 92 is the Wolfsburg Edition so I guess it is Classic Green Pearl Metallic then. I haven't found the jack (there is a spare tire and lug wrench) but haven't seen a jack or the tool to remove the center cap unless they are hidden somewhere else in the trunk. They are not in the spot with the spare.

I know about as much about a computer as I do water cooled VW's (very little) or I would send you some pictures. I believe you have to have a scanner to send pictures and I don't have one. But as for the other cars, a 1956 Ragtop, a 1970 Ghia Convertible, a 1971 Ghia Coupe, a 1973 Ghia Coupe, 2 1973 Things, a 1971 Double Cab Truck, a 1974 Super Beetle and a 1983 VW Truck (with no engine so I don't count it). Also have a 2003 F-150 Super Cab Truck, a 2001 Pontiac Montana Van and a 1982 Corvette. Way to many cars and trucks. Fixing the sell a couple of the Ghia's and the Vette.

Don't know if any of you are familar with the Browntrout Publishers or not but they put out a VW calendar each year. The photos are by Paul Smith and Ron Kimball who are two VW (mostly air cool) experts. Anyway, my 56 is in the 2006 calendar as the feature car in the month of March. I was proud of that, being in a national calendar.

Again, thanks to each of you for your help and replies and I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future.

P.S. Who ever sent the picture of the Color Code in the engine compartment, my car is that color.

The Old Eagle
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

That would be me Briano

The car pin stripe was changed to gold after the picture was taken, and all the badges gilded. :) But it is a 92 Wolfie
Briano

Old Screaming Eagle

Hey Briano, beautiful car, hope mine will look that nice one day. Also saw the other car you just bought and its nice looking. Tell me, how do you get and keep your white interior so clean? Mine needs a good cleaning and I don't know what to use on it. Any suggestions?

The Old Eagle
Old Screaming Eagle

Hey Briano, beautiful car, hope mine will look that nice one day. Also saw the other car you just bought and its nice looking. Tell me, how do you get and keep your white interior so clean? Mine needs a good cleaning and I don't know what to use on it. Any suggestions?

The Old Eagle