What about this setup?

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

leah's_dad
What year is your cabby?: 1990
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

What about this setup?

Post by leah's_dad »

This would certainly elminate my CIS problems....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT

Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

It will elminate most of your issues. You will still have some electrical crap to deal with, but on a much smaller scale.

Not to mention you will have much less engine wiring making things look over-busy.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
leah's_dad

Post by leah's_dad »

Could I use a fuel pressure regulator to cut back the pressure from the FI pump or would I have to switch to a mechanical pump?
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

you can certainly use a FPR, just make sure to add a return line back to the tank (the FI system uses one anyway) so that you don't end up building too much pressure and bursting a line or frying the pump.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
tolusina

Re: What about this setup?

Post by tolusina »

leah's_dad wrote:This would certainly elminate my CIS problems.....
Harris,

While that looks attractive and seems a good idea, I'll guess it would be absolutely horrid to live with on a daily driver, hard to get tuned, hard to keep tuned.
The factory carbs in '75 and '76 worked ok, as long as every little adjustment (there were about 43 of them) was exactly right. I worked on a small handful of the carbs used on later, 49 state cars, those too, worked ok when perfect.

I've never seen one, single, aftermarket, 2 barrel carb work well on any VW, air or water cooled.

A 2 barrel carb has to be a serious performance downgrade from CIS, there is just no way those two little barrels cobbled together with that adapter plate and manifold are going to flow as much air as a stock CIS manifold, no way it's going to meter fuel as precisely either.

Get a Bentley, a DVOM with dwell or duty cycle capability, a timing light, if you have serious CIS issues you'll need a CIS specific fuel pressure gauge set.
With the above tools, your patience and the advice available here and on the vortex, your CIS cas noon be sweetly singing the tunes you love to hear.

Ron
leah's_dad

Post by leah's_dad »

Thanks, Ron...I ordered a Bentley today from half.com. I also ordered a set of injector seals and tune-up stuff from the warehouse (I work for NAPA headquarters :wink: )

William still has me freaked out about the wiring, but we'll see what happens.....
gull

Post by gull »

Wow, that brings back memories. I once put a 2-barrel Weber progressive on a VW Bus, as an alternative to overhauling the seriously decayed L-Jetronic system. It did work. It was reliable. Driveability suffered, though. With no preheat, the carburator and manifold tended to ice in cold or damp weather. I never did quite get the jetting right, so I had a little hesitation off idle and my top end speed wasn't quite what it used to be. I couldn't accelerate full throttle at low RPMs without it bogging badly. I also had to tweak the idle jet every time the temperature changed to keep it idling decently.

What I'm getting at here is this will work, after a fashion, but you'll never quite be satisfied. Avoid the temptation. These fuel injected engines can run so sweetly once you get them running right. Besides, once it's been gone through and set right, CIS tends to stay right for a long time without much further attention. The problem is on most of these cars you have to battle through the results of years of neglect, first.

(BTW, that looks like a used carb. I've never had much luck with used carbs. Somehow once they sit around with gasoline in them they're never quite the same again.)
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force