putting a Sirrius radio in a 95 cabrio

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

palmer

putting a Sirrius radio in a 95 cabrio

Post by palmer »

im trying to get some help with the fuse box on this car. the first two times i tryied the radio it worked and then the fuse for the cigerette lighter fried now i cant get it to work even after replacing the fuse with the correct type is there any thing i can do about this short of replacing the intire wireing from there to the fuse box and can i run bigger voltage fuses in the the same spot?
thanks for any help on the subject :?:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: putting a Sirrius radio in a 95 cabrio

Post by Briano1234 »

palmer wrote:im trying to get some help with the fuse box on this car. the first two times i tryied the radio it worked and then the fuse for the cigerette lighter fried now i cant get it to work even after replacing the fuse with the correct type is there any thing i can do about this short of replacing the intire wireing from there to the fuse box and can i run bigger voltage fuses in the the same spot?
thanks for any help on the subject :?:
The sirus radio shouldn't pull no more than 3 amps...

If you tapped into the Ciggie Lighter then I would suspect that there is a underlying short in the Cigiee Circuitry.

I would try to wring out the wiring, as you might have smoked the Sirus.

You didn't say that the Ciggie Lighter worked wgain as normal, or if you tried the Sirus on a different circuit.

Get back to the basics, do you have 12v at the lighter?

Probably not I imagine that you have a chaffed wire somewhere in the loom that opened.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
palmer

Post by palmer »

so what yur saying is that my wiring could be completely shorted at the main harness(bad) or i have a short some where in the harness(really bad) is there any way to power it with out the cig lighter?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Wiring problems aren't that hard to fix.

Get a VOM and start by looking at the wiring for the cigarette lighter, Pry out the ash tray and look at the connector, and verify with a vom or test light that you have power there.

A shorted wire, will take out the new fuse too. check it again and see if there is a blown fuse.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by CalAltaDubber »

I will agree with Brian.

First thing to do is to ensure that the circuit for the cig lighter is not damaged.

If you had in advertantly crossed the power and gnd. wires, you may have tuned the wires for maximum smoke (not a good thing).

With the fuse removed, use a multimeter (set on resistance) and check the power wire from the cig liter to gnd. This should be an open citcuit and give you an infinant reading.

If it reads 0 Ohms, That is a short!

Disconnect the wires from the cig lighter and measure the resistance from the terminal where the wire attaches to the metal shell of the lighter.

If it is short (0 Ohms) the lighter is bad and needs to be replaced.

If it is infinant (Open) the problem is in the power wire to the cig lighter.

If everything checks out good, reinstall the cig lighter and replace the fuse with a new one.

Then check that there is 12 VDC of the lighter recpticle

Generally VW uses brown wires for ground and red for 12 VDC.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you make out.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image