Water Pump

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Metallicabby
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Water Pump

Post by Metallicabby »

As I have been driving my Cabby for a few weeks now - I'm hearing the definate sounds of water pump distress ~

Anyone out there replaced one? I have replaced them on many other types of cars - you know, with the engines facing front to back?

Where in the world is the dern thing?
If I could get my wasted days back, would I use them to get back on track...

2000 New Beetle
2000 New Beetle Turbo
1992 Cabby
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

The water pump is on the bottom passenger side forward of the wheel.

It is a major PITA on a scale of 1 to 30 a 35..... There are about 10 10mm bolts that are siezed tighter than a Dutchmans Billfold. It would be better for you in the long run to get a complete assembly instead of the waterpump alone. I would take all the bolts out of the new one and liberally coat them with never sieze. When replaceing them do not over torque. Make sure that you have your pulley diameter (hub) as there are two different types.

Get a bentley and memorize the procedures. I haven't changed one in about 12 years but I still have nightmares.....

ps, change the thermostat and flush your cooling system as you do this.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

You will find the water pump buried below the A/C compressor and the Altenator. Basicly, you need to remove both of those (don't remove the coolent lines to the compressor though, just flop the thing outta your way), the bracket that holds them in place and then you can get at the pump.

There is a T style bolt that goes through the pump and through the crappy little dust sheild between the pully and the rest of the pump. Once thats out, there is either 4 or 6 large bolts that go through the pump (and hold it in place) that are also used as the mounting point for the accessory bracket.

The pump is 2 pieces. There is the pump itself and the housing. It comes off the engine in one piece and there is a rubber O-ring you will need to replace where the pump housing meets the block. You will also want a new pump gasket.

Easiest way to drain the engine is to remove the bottom coolent hose that goes from that radiator to the bottom of the pump. You will also notice that at that connection (hose to pump housing) is plastic and can also be removed. That is where your thermostat is. You can choose to leave it connected to the housing or remove it and replace the t-stat at the same time. If you remove it, there is an O-ring there to replace as well.

I'm going to let someone else give more detail. I normally would, but I've been working 12+ hours a day this week and my brain is mush. If no one responds after I've had suffeciant sleep, I'll post more.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

oh, come on guys, they aren't that bad. i've done a few and...ok..they are that bad! :D
just make sure you set a whole weekend aside when you do this, that way you won't be rushed.
you can do it... i have faith in ya!
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
Metallicabby

Post by Metallicabby »

As soon as my Bentley gets here I'm going to tackle it. Or attempt it anyway! Thanks again!
If I could get my wasted days back, would I use them to get back on track...

2000 New Beetle
2000 New Beetle Turbo
1992 Cabby