greetings from the united kingdom

New to the site? Stop in here and introduce yourself so we can all welcome you to the mad house.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

cabriaulait
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

greetings from the united kingdom

Post by cabriaulait »

hey, found you guys whilst surfing my favourite topic mk1 golf cabriolet and thought it rude not to say hi and maybe meet some more cabrio fans.
i recently bought my 1st project car its an 87 mk1 quartett in paprika red and white, this was a fairly limited edition here about 140, with the 1.8 digi engine , ive not seen one in my colours, im hoping you guys may know someone with the same edition try this link
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/ ... car018.jpg and let me know if it works cheers
there are some absolutely stunning cars on this site and nice to see some pure breds too (like mine) , ive put mk2 bbs wheels on and upgraded the brakes a bit but no engine mods . to be honest i cant see the point i can get 125mph+ and 0-60 in around 8secs. who needs more? i live in cornwall on the far west toe of britain and our environment is sooooo salty still shes got no rust , but is in need of a respray. if you want more photos ive got em , let me know

cheers dave
87 cabriolet quartett edt work in progress
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Very nice car !! :shock:

Would have to say that I've never heard of that "model" of the car. Our resident hostorian Kammy might have though. Here in the States, cabbies didn't get digi till 90' AFAIK.

Can't thank you enough for stopping in and sharing that beautiful car with us. From that pic, I can't see why it would need a respray though, it looks perfect.

Thx for the compliments. Would be great to see ya stick around. Were a pretty easy going group. :thumbup:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
cabriaulait

Post by cabriaulait »

thanks, yep seems like a nice site the dub scene here is wildly competitive as its so big . but it does mean theres loads of info to get your hands on. how long has this site been running, and whats your ride

should i chuck some photos in the carphotos section.
when did you guys start getting the clipper edition because mine was released just before that here.

surely you must have loads of british members if not ill put out the word,

word...
kuklaki
Admin Type Person

Post by kuklaki »

That is a fantastic Cabriolet, and the color is awesome! BTW that is the greatest user name (I'm a big coffee fan 8) )

I just dont see where your Cabriolet could us a respray-judging from the pic, she has a nice even color with plenty of shine!

It's funny seeing the different models between the States and over the pond. No, we did not get that model here. In fact, we did not get a whole lot of special editions here, just a small handful.

TRF has been around since 2003. We are a fairly small group as far as who is active in posting, but have all become fairly close, like a little Cabby family. We have had some users sign up from Europe, but with so many VW forums, I suppose they lose track of us here.

Here is our Cabby (mine and Calimus)

And look, it's an 8V, too!

2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
kuklaki
Admin Type Person

Post by kuklaki »

BTW, we would love more pics of Paprika hottie!
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

welcome to TRF!
great looking cab, from that pic the paint looks like new.

it is neat to see what the euro models got as opposed to what the U.S got. as cal said we didn't get digi cabs till '90.

i don't think we had that color over here too, come to think about it.
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
cabriaulait

Post by cabriaulait »

ok ill post some more photos in the piccies section thanks for the welcome guys and that cabs lush dropped like mine needs to be.
c u in car piccies then
lowredcabrio

Post by lowredcabrio »

Wow! that looks stunning! I can't say ive seen that particular model yet. your bbs' perfectly compliment that great paprika color! Looking forward to seeing some new pics! Welcome to our humble little community! :beer:
Lukai
check out my cabby here
|c|a|b|b|y| My Anti-Drug
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Again, on behalf of the Chosen Frozen here in Canada.

Welcome to TRF.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
dubchickshubby

Post by dubchickshubby »

Welcome! I must say I'm envious of the widespread enthusiasm over on your side of the pond. I've read the UK's VW magazine a number of times and it kills me of all the MK1/2 goodies you have over there.

Your bumper covers are very nice. Understated. Not like the "overdone" clippers here.

There's a pictures section?!?!?! :shock: I need to pay more attention... Where is it Christine?!?!?!

Here's the DubChick's ( I've really got to shrink this...):
And here's mine:
Her car, my tools. It's all about sharing!
///Ocean State Dubs
'87 red/white Cabby
'92 Triple white Cabby(an 8V decked and overbored nightmare. 303 Cam baybee!)
cabriaulait

Post by cabriaulait »

hey two nice golfs mate what yr is the first one looks early, those chrome bumpers sell for a FORTUNE here , at least 1000 dollars maybe more
rare as rockinghorse sh...t as we say

theyre are loads of vw mags here too
try thegolf+ a mates was featured a few months back theyres a photo on my earlier post again in the elusive piccies section, there is also volksworld, volkszone, vwtrends, hotvws, performancevw the list is endless.

the bumpers on mine and the wing mirrors came colour coded from karmann, that really was the only difference from the original mk1 cab
(i think) clipper kits were fitted from'88 so i think the quartett was an experiment towards the clipper

aaah i do love her
luckily so does my better half
shame the bank manager doesnt!

cheers for the photos
dubchickshubby

Post by dubchickshubby »

Thanks. They are twins actually. Both are 87' MkII's. Hers is the shiny red/white/grey automatic one.
Mine was originally red/white/white with a 5 speed. The white interior was trashed beyond help, so the interior is from a MkII Scirocco. And the bumpers are also polished aluminum. They're just painted over.

:shock: $1000?!?!?! :shock: How soon can I start shipping bumpers over? They're laying all over the place around here. It's the Euro-spec bumpers and lights that are a rare as Hen's Teeth in my neck of the woods!

It's pretty sad here in the states if you want any kind of periodicals for older stuff. Once in a while a magazine will do a short feature on an older Dub, but unless it's old Detroit iron, you're pretty much out of luck. It's the same with motorcycles. The only decent writeups I could get for sportbikes was from Performance Bikes. Tons of mags around for Milwaukee Lawnmowers (Harley Davidsons) though...
Her car, my tools. It's all about sharing!
///Ocean State Dubs
'87 red/white Cabby
'92 Triple white Cabby(an 8V decked and overbored nightmare. 303 Cam baybee!)
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

Calimus wrote:Would have to say that I've never heard of that "model" of the car. Our resident hostorian Kammy might have though. Here in the States, cabbies didn't get digi till 90' AFAIK.
I have indeed :D . Paprika Red, Inka Blue, Alpine White and Sapphire Blue were/are the colors of the Quartetts and that model was only offered, as far as I know, for 1987. Over in Europe, 1987 introduced the Clipper kit; so, in theory, that Cab should've come with the kit, but since it's a UK version, maybe not.

Anyway, that's a lovely looking Cab you've got there! :thumbup: 8) And, it's nice to see the BBS's I'd like to obtain for mine on a Cab! Hmmm... snowflakes or BBS?? Hmmmm... :D But yeah, more pics of that beauty, please! :mrgreen:
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

[quote="kamzcab86"]
I have indeed :D . Paprika Red, Inka Blue, Alpine White and Sapphire Blue were/are the colors of the Quartetts and that model was only offered, as far as I know, for 1987. Over in Europe, 1987 introduced the Clipper kit; so, in theory, that Cab should've come with the kit, but since it's a UK version, maybe not.

quote]

Sorry Kami, I was in Europe in '87 (that's when I bought mine) No Cabriolets were produced with a clipper kit until the 1988 MY.

Germans look at the actual year of manufacture (called Baujahr or Bj). Using my own car as an example, it is an '87 MY, however as far as your average German is concerned, since it was built in September '86 a German would say it is "Bj 1986".

The first Cabriolets with a clipperkit appeared in the fall of 1987 on the 1988 MY cars.
Last edited by CalAltaDubber on Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
cabriaulait

Post by cabriaulait »

as far as i know thats right mine was born 6th may 87, clippers, as stated began october 87, i emailed the vw museum to see if i could find out more about how many were produced and recieved this reply
Dear Mr.Heyett,

it is really not possible to say how many Quartetts were produced and
delivered to grat Britain. Volkswagen count the produced cars from every typ
during his production time, for example: the type 155 were produced from
1979 to 1993 in 413.000 units, and the "Quartett"modell was a part of it.

Sincerely,

Eckberth v.Witzleben

not very helpfull really

http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... uage_tools

thats quite useful
i just want to know how damn rare this one is and i cant find it. highly frustrating it is too