Night time delima....

Post electrical issues and questions here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

foursixthree

Night time delima....

Post by foursixthree »

So here's the deal.... I drive at night and when i try to start the car it seems like the battery is drained. Almost doesn't want to start. Doesn't do this durring the day. I've tried checking everything i know. I even ran it without a battery so I know i'm getting good power from the Alt. I don't know what else to try. Any ideas any one..... oh yea.... 86 Cabriolet.

Thanks,

Armando in Paradise (Santa Cruz)
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Calimus »

What are the temps like at night. Since you're out in Cali, I can't imagine they are getting very low at all. However, if the batter is a bit old, it might be having a harder time in cooler weather. Take it to a Autozone or Advanced Auto and see if they will test the battery for ya. If they rule it ok, then it's time to start looking elsewhere.

Other things it may be is the starter, I'm finding they have be temperaure sensitive as I'm having the exact opposite problem with one of my rocco's. Starts just fine cold, drive anywhere where the engine bay gets to full temp and the starter act's like it's not getting enough current.

Also, check your grounds, they are the biggest fixer of electrical issues with these cars.

Let us know of any progress or new symptoms. Good luck :D
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
tolusina
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: Night time delima....

Post by tolusina »

foursixthree wrote:.... 86 Cabriolet. .....
Is it red with a white top that's too crinkly to put down, was on Soquel Drive around 5 'till 6 tonight between Old San Jose and Cabrillo??
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

foursixthree wrote:So here's the deal.... I drive at night and when i try to start the car it seems like the battery is drained. Almost doesn't want to start. Doesn't do this durring the day. I've tried checking everything i know. I even ran it without a battery so I know i'm getting good power from the Alt. I don't know what else to try. Any ideas any one..... oh yea.... 86 Cabriolet.

Thanks,

Armando in Paradise (Santa Cruz)
Is it an Automatic, or manual...if it is and auto, then you probably need the hot start relay, which is a really good thing to do for either.

I would clean and check all grounds and your positive cables. If the cables are older, you may need to replace them.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
foursixthree

Post by foursixthree »

tolusina wrote:
foursixthree wrote:.... 86 Cabriolet. .....
Is it red with a white top that's too crinkly to put down, was on Soquel Drive around 5 'till 6 tonight between Old San Jose and Cabrillo??
It's Grey with a black top. Really dirty.....lives on the East side of SC.. Top is down Unless it WET out. :lol: