TRansmission

If you are going to go anywhere, better make sure your tranny can handle the load. Gear changes for the power hungry should be talked about here. Is that a LSD I see in your pocket?

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

mitch
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

TRansmission

Post by mitch »

Hey all, I'm the new owner of an "87" Auto-Cabro....I got a leak in the trans & I wanna chg over to synthetic. Several shops told me, see the dealer. Another stated thy only use VW brand fluid. Is the VW trans that specialized ? Also constant manifolid oil leak, not bad but noticable. Just about all electonics r dead. Cruise cntrl, radio, window washer...basically it jst runs. I'm basic like that. Thanks 4 any tips or suggestions.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Hrm, I dunno about the older auto-trans's but the newer ones certainly like the VW stuff only. I'm sure the older one's can manage normal auto-trans fluid, but I wouldn't switch to Synth till you repair all the leaks. Synth, while having better viscocity and such is thinner then the normal stuff and will find it's way to leaks a bit better.

Electronics are a bit more fun, check the fuses, check the wiring. There a big mess behind the dash to play in if you feel adventurous. Vac leaks are a big deal as well, so if you can, replace all the vac hoses.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

Manifolds don't leak oil. Exhaust manifolds leak exhaust out. Intake manifolds leak atmosphere in. If oil is actually coming out of a manifold then you may have a serious problem.

The electrical problems should probably be approached from the fuse/relay box first. If the car leaks when it rains then the fusebox becomes a funnel. Rust and corrosion result. The grounds for a lot of the accessories are also in the same general area, check those also.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Re: TRansmission

Post by CalAltaDubber »

mitch wrote:Hey all, I'm the new owner of an "87" Auto-Cabro....I got a leak in the trans & I wanna chg over to synthetic. Several shops told me, see the dealer. Another stated thy only use VW brand fluid. Is the VW trans that specialized ? Also constant manifolid oil leak, not bad but noticable. Just about all electonics r dead. Cruise cntrl, radio, window washer...basically it jst runs. I'm basic like that. Thanks 4 any tips or suggestions.
Hi Mitch, and welcome to TRF.

I'm an electronics guy, so I'll leave the mechaical stuff to Six and Calimus.

The first thing to do is get a set of schematics for the car. If you don't mind spending the money, the Bently manual is best.

The nice thing about VW diagrams is that they break the whole thing down to simple circuit tracks. the 12 V source is at the top and Ground at the bottom.

As it has already been suggested, check around the fuse box first. (MK Is are nutorious for leaking windshields that allow water to cause corrosion in the area of the fuse box).

Then just start chasing each circuit one at a time untill they are fixed.

By the way congrats on the '87. Same year as mine.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
mitch

TRansmission leak

Post by mitch »

Thanks for all the helpful tips, folks
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Let us know how you make out with all these things.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
luisin3460
What year is your cabby?: 1992

Post by luisin3460 »

Hello:

I would like to know if some one could tell me where I go for auto transmission parts, I am rebuilding my wife 1987 Cabriolet, I rebuild the trans on my 1992 Cabriolet, but I can not find the thrust washers and needle bearings for the 010 trans. Can some one tell me of a place where to buy the thrust washers and needle bearings Kit for this trans.

Luis
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

http://www.transtar1.com/

Some things can be gotten at Napa.

But I got a new pump and seal kit from my local transtar dealer.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: